98% fact-free novice requests 2 x PCs / router / hub guidance

Old July 31st 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul

Default 98% fact-free novice requests 2 x PCs / router / hub guidance

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:16:12 +0100, Herbert
wrote:

Ok, I've actually figured out quite a lot about PCs, but networking
still looks like knitting instructions to me.

Alllllll I want to do is to connect two PCs, for filesharing at least,
and both to an ADSL router. The last bit was easy: an ethernet card
each and a cat5 cable from each to the router.

I understand tables are not crossover, whereas hooking up two PCs
usually does require a crossover cable. For starters, I can't figure
out how those two requirements can be met. I'm guessing I need to
introduce a hub into the equation, but can't figure out where what how
with.

Oh, one machine is running XP Pro, the other may be W98 (unless I
upgrade it to XP Pro or Home).

I've been looking round the web for "ABC 123 'C A T' spells cat" level
diagrams or instructions, but I now got no alternative but to confess
my ignorance in public (however, this seems like a well-intentioned
NG, and I dare say you're used to it)...

URLs of good websites, or exasperated summaries, gladly received!

Thanks.

The router is all you need.

Run network setup wizard under XP and follow instructions.

you may need to share your drives/folders on each machine
which involves right clicking on drive/folder and selecting properties
then select share.