Recommend a Terminal Emulator for a newbie?

Old August 1st 03, 06:21 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Paul Hopwood

Default Recommend a Terminal Emulator for a newbie?

"Steve Walker" wrote:

Trying to break into a Cisco 801 Router to overwrite passwords left by
previous administrator, and having little joy. Can open session, but
can't interrupt boot sequence of firmware.

Through googling, discover that Hyperterminal in NT & 2K is generally
incapable of sending the break signal required to prevent boot. Had
been trying for an hour, thanks for that....... (

So, it seems I need another terminal emulator, preferably a freebie
which is capable of issuing a Break command on a standard Compaq system
running W2K. It needs to be really simple please, I'm not up to
speed on this stuff at all.....

I use PuTTY which is currently free. Not sure if it'll do what you
need but given it's a free download there's no harm in trying it out.

Get it from:

iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old August 1st 03, 08:10 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Walker

Paul Hopwood wrote:

I use PuTTY which is currently free. Not sure if it'll do what you
need but given it's a free download there's no harm in trying it out.

Thanks Paul - cracked it with Tera Term (has a menu-based "send break"
option)