Router betwn 2pcs keeps losing DNS

Old August 2nd 03, 01:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

Default Router betwn 2pcs keeps losing DNS

You don't say which OS you are using, however....

When you have a home network with automatic DNS/IP adresses, one of
the PCs is acting as a server of IP addresses - in your case it sounds
like PC1 is doing this. Thus when you switch on PC2 alone, it
flounders as it has nowhere to go to get its "automatic" address.

Try switching to manual settings. Tell both PCs the DNS settings for
your ISP and give each PC a static IP address in the range that you
currently have set for dynamic IP. Make sure this is in the same
range, but different addresses to, the one for your router.

Hope this helps some.

jay

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:59:38 +0100, "Rob"
wrote:

Hi, hope im posting on the right forum for help.

I recently set up a router to share my Broadband connection between 2 pcs
(pc1 +pc2) . When both pcs are on aftera bit of jiggery pokery everything
seems fine.

However, it seems after both pcs have been shut down overnight and pc2 is
switched on first the next day, it cannot connect. So I have to disconnect
the modem, then the router. reconnect the modem then reconnect the router
before pc2 will pick up the correct IP or DNS address. (both pcs are set
to get ip/dns automatically)

If pc1 is switched on first it seems to pick up the connection straight
away.

Can someone explain why this is happening and possibly suggest how I can get
both pc's to connect individually without having to switch pc1 on first or
have to disconnect all the time.)

The router is a Netgear rp614v2. I think it is set up correctly through the
web interface and have managed to network the 2 pcs together for file and
print sharing ok. ?
all mac addresses are registered

would really appreciate any help as my limited knowledge is reaching its
end.

Regards.
Rob

Old August 2nd 03, 07:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Actually it's probably a lot easier to use the DHCP server that's built
into the router.