Network Storage

Old August 2nd 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr_K

Default Network Storage

I've just been reading up on this hardware over at
http://www.it-reality.co.uk/Reviews/...0M-Review1.htm
but I'm looking for someone out there who has used this unit themselves, or
if they use something similar... I'm looking to get feedback on what people
think about going this route, rather then just throwing another server onto
the network.

Many thanks

Old August 3rd 03, 01:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
says...
I've just been reading up on this hardware over at
http://www.it-reality.co.uk/Reviews/...0M-Review1.htm
but I'm looking for someone out there who has used this unit themselves, or
if they use something similar... I'm looking to get feedback on what people
think about going this route, rather then just throwing another server onto
the network.

Basically it's the same as throwing another server onto the network.
TBH unless it's a decent sized business one then there's no need.

--
________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
________________________
Old August 3rd 03, 08:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Mr_K wrote:
I've just been reading up on this hardware over at
http://www.it-reality.co.uk/Reviews/...0M-Review1.htm
but I'm looking for someone out there who has used this unit
themselves, or if they use something similar... I'm looking to get
feedback on what people think about going this route, rather then
just throwing another server onto the network.

We use a snap server at work and find it very handy.
http://www.snapappliance.com/

--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old August 3rd 03, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr_K

Thanks for that link, looks very similar to the d-link product but I'll get
in touch with these people and see what the differences are.

Old August 5th 03, 11:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Arthur

I've got a snapserver 1000 at home and it's (fingers crossed) worked as
promised, only downside is that this model is rather slow. I previously
used e-smith and that was very good but the PC was noisier than the
snapserver and e-smith didn't like it when I set the power management to
spin disks down. I got as far as using Wake ON Lan to boot it whenever a
client was turned on and trying to get it to shut down when it was alone
on the network, then I got tired and bought the snapserver on ebay and a
cheap UPS
My only concern with the snapserver is that it seems to use a
propriaraty or encrypted filesystem so in the event of a disaster I
can't put the hard drive in another machine and retreive it's data.
Arthur