Networking 'old' PC's

Old August 3rd 03, 07:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob

Default Networking 'old' PC's

How can I network a Win95 and a Win98SE PC together. What software
would I need. I only have a serial ports available, so what connecting
cable should I use.
Old August 3rd 03, 08:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr_K

Go and buy x2 network cards, a cross over cable and that's it!
Total cost should be under 25.00
Install tcpip on both pc's, make sure workgroup names are the same
set one pc ip address as 10.10.10.1 and the other to 10.10.10.2 (subnet
255.255.255.0)
reboot both pcs
set up the folders you want to share and that should be it!

Old August 4th 03, 12:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zorg

Bob wrote:

How can I network a Win95 and a Win98SE PC together. What software
would I need. I only have a serial ports available, so what connecting
cable should I use.

Hello Bob

Does either of your 'old' PCs have a spare ISA slot? The reason I am asking
is because I have an ISA Network 2000 card. It's like new and in its
original box but it's no good to me so you can have it for a couple of quid
to cover postage. It has an RJ45 connector and a BNC connector. If you only
have two PCs to network, the easiest thing to do would be to get an RJ45
crossover cable. By the way, it's Plug and Play so you don't have to mess
with any jumpers. Send me an email if you are interested. It'll get you
half way there.

Zorg

PS Mind the spam trap.

--