Belkin 54g wireless router and card disconnecting

Old August 4th 03, 08:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Seamus

Default Belkin 54g wireless router and card disconnecting

"Stuart Dennett" wrote in message

I forgot to mention: signal strength on my PC is usually 'Very Good' or
'Excellent', but often fluctuates. At the moment, in the Belkin Wireless
Config Utility, 'Signal' is -50 dBm, and 'Noise' is -30 dBm. I seem to be
connected at 11 Mbps.

Try changing the channel that the router (access point) uses by default it
is set to 1, I had no end of problems with this regular disconnects though
when I changed it to channel 10 (just choose the number at random), I have
not had any disconnects, using the same router. The reason I think is that
the router uses the 2.4GHz frequency which I used by alot of other things
(such as microwaves) so it could be that some one has switched the microwave
on, or is using Bluetooth?

Seamus

Old August 4th 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stuart Dennett

Try changing the channel that the router (access point) uses by default it
is set to 1, I had no end of problems with this regular disconnects though
when I changed it to channel 10 (just choose the number at random), I have
not had any disconnects, using the same router. The reason I think is that
the router uses the 2.4GHz frequency which I used by alot of other things
(such as microwaves) so it could be that some one has switched the

microwave
on, or is using Bluetooth?

Hi
I tried changing the channel from 11 to 2, and then 5, but it didn't seem to
make any difference. Thanks anyway!
--
Stuart Dennett

Old August 6th 03, 01:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

When you change the channel you must change the router AND wireless card
channel. Just in case you're not sure, use the Belkin web based software to
change the channel of the router by putting 192.168.2.1 in the address bar
of your browser, then login and click on Wireless / Channel and SSID in the
left column. and change the channel to, for example, channel 5. Accept
changes and logout.

To change the wireless network connection properties, either do it as you
said below or alternatively, double click on its icon in the taskbar, click
properties, under 'Connect Using' click Configure, under the Advanced tab
select IBSS Channel number and make sure it's set to channel 5 (or whatever
channel you selected in the Belkin web based software). Make sure you have
no conflicts with the IBSS Mode, personally I've selected 54g performance
for the cards mode and set the Belkin web based software to use just 54g.

"Stuart Dennett" wrote in message
When you change the channel, do you change it in the Belkin web based
software AND the wireless network connection properties?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the wireless network connection

properties'.
The Belkin software seems to pick up on it automatically, but if I go to
Control Panel System Hardware Device Manager Belkin Wireless

54Mbps
Desktop Adapter Advanced IBSS Channel Number, that seems to be
permanently on 11, and if I try changing it, I get disconnected. Is this
setting relevant to what I'm trying to do?
--
Regards,
Stuart Dennett

---

Old August 7th 03, 01:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Williams

"Barry" wrote in message
When you change the channel you must change the router AND wireless card
channel.

Having a few problems myself with this same combination of Belkin kit
(F5D7230-4 router and F5D7010 notebook card). It all works OK, but the range
and speed fall far short of what I had expected/hoped for. Just came across
this thread and I'm curious about what you say about the necessity of
changing the channel on the notebook to match the channel you've chosen on
the router.

I've been experimenting with various settings (there seem to be many things
that can be changed) but am not getting any increased range or speed as a
result of anything that I've done.

If you change the channel on the router (via the web based interface) from
say, 11 to 2, the notebook appears to adjust to the new channel on its own,
without requiring rebooting or anything. The channel shown in the Belkin
Wireless LAN utility changes itself. So, is it really necessary to go into
the Advanced Tab on Properties of the Notebook card and change the IBSS
Channel Number from 11 (which I think is the default) to 2. Surely (unless
I'm not understanding this right) the idea is that I should be able to walk
into an airport, Starbucks etc etc that has a wireless LAN and just connect
to any available network, on any channel, without needing to change my
card's IBSS properties?? Do correct me if I'm wrong here!

BTW, there are many things in the Advanced tab, as well as IBSS Channel
Number. Does anyone know of anywhwere I can see a list of what they all mean
and what the optimum settings are. It's not covered in the Belkin manuals
that came with the router or card.
--
James