Installing my first network - advice pls

Old August 5th 03, 12:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tenex

Default Installing my first network - advice pls

At long last (during an inconvenient redecoration) I've pulled up the
floorboards and installed the CAT5 cabling for a couple of network sockets.
Now all I have to do is wire it up and install the router etc.. (Don't
mention wireless - I needed a hard wired socket. I wouldn't mind adding a
WAP at some point but that can wait until I find a cheap Wifi card for my
Clié)

So can anyone point me to a site that explains how to wire the sockets and
install the router (Belkin 10/100 4 port Cable/DSL)?

I wish to connect an XP Home PC and ME notebook (which, inconveniently, has
been borrowed for a fortnight) to Blueyonder and I want some limited file
sharing XPME and full access to the ME notebook from the XP desktop. Both
have local printers but it may be useful to allow the ME notebook to print
to the XP laser, additionally.

Presently using Kerio personal firewall on the XP PC in case that's
relevant - should I add it to the ME notebook also or can the router provide
firewall capabilities?

Thanks.

PS. And while I'm asking - I ran two phone extension cables too - anyone
know the wiring for those? :-)

Old August 5th 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Khyle Westmoreland

In , Tenex
farted out:
[...]

For info about the Belkin router you might want to have a look in the
manual, or visit http://192.168.2.1 for the web access config. As for the
wiring I can't really help you as I just have Cat5 trailing everywhere!
Whoops!

--
Khyle Westmoreland
http : / / www (dot) khyle (dot) org (dot) uk

Old August 5th 03, 01:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tenex

Khyle Westmoreland wrote:
As for
the wiring I can't really help you as I just have Cat5 trailing
everywhere! Whoops!

You have Cat5 but can't help? What am I missing?

Old August 5th 03, 02:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dave Stanton

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:58:10 +0000, Tenex wrote:

Khyle Westmoreland wrote:
As for
the wiring I can't really help you as I just have Cat5 trailing
everywhere! Whoops!

You have Cat5 but can't help? What am I missing?

Google on rj45 or cat5 or networking or twisted pair......!

Dave

Old August 5th 03, 02:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tenex

dave Stanton wrote:

Google on rj45 or cat5 or networking or twisted pair......!

Dave

Found this http://www.jaysafe.co.uk/technical/rj45.asp which is useful but
doesn't help with sharing, printing, etc.. I assume the sockets are the
same as a standard patch?

Probably asked this too early as the notebook won't be back for 10 days or
so but after the rather extended wait to get it put in I'm raring to finish
it. ;-)

Old August 5th 03, 08:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Khyle Westmoreland

In , Tenex
farted out:
Khyle Westmoreland wrote:
As for
the wiring I can't really help you as I just have Cat5 trailing
everywhere! Whoops!

You have Cat5 but can't help? What am I missing?

Well I thought he meant wiring up the wires inside to the correct pin
places, which I couldn't help with. I just bought cables and hoped for the
best!