Finding the ip address your really using.

Old August 5th 03, 01:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Finding the ip address your really using.

My setup is cable modem to netgear DHCP router.

I have full functionality of the router, and my 2 clients are allocated
192.168.0.x address, when I browse etc, the ip address is 97.x.x.x, it is
this address I wish to capture from WIN or linux, any one know of a way to
capture this, I can view from a web page or go into the router but I want to
be able to trace this through the network.

any ideas please ?

TIA

T.

---

Old August 5th 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike

In message , T
writes

Will ipconfig/all do ? Or are you looking to write some code ?

Cheers

--
Mike Cox
Old August 5th 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Thanks for the reply

IPCONFIG /ALL just returns my internal DHCP assigned ip address of
192.168.0.x, what I want is my cable modem's assigned ip address which can
change at any time (when I power down/up), if I went to say
http://www.cm-forums.co.uk/connection_info.php
this shows me my 'real' assigned ip address (ie the netgear router) and it
is this that I want to capture internally, preferably from linux, but
windows would do.

Thanks

T.

Old August 5th 03, 08:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Thanks for the reply, again I know I can view the ip address I want, but how
can I 'grab' this from a windows command prompt, any dos network commands
available etc, that I can pipe to a text file. this is what I'm after.

Thanks

T.

"Bigguy" wrote in message
Try http://192.168.100.1/address.html

Guy

Old August 6th 03, 09:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Thanks Ian, had to tweak a little but,
wget -O myip -v http://www.whatismyip.com; cat myip | grep "Your IP" myip

creates file myip with one line of :-
h1Your IP is 171.x.x.31 br/h1

gives me exactly what I wanted !

Thanks again

"Ian Northeast" wrote in message
T wrote:

My setup is cable modem to netgear DHCP router.

I have full functionality of the router, and my 2 clients are allocated
192.168.0.x address, when I browse etc, the ip address is 97.x.x.x, it

is
this address I wish to capture from WIN or linux, any one know of a way

capture this, I can view from a web page or go into the router but I

want to
be able to trace this through the network.

From Linux:

wget http://whatismyip.com/

and parse the very simple resulting index.html.

Something similar may be possible in Windows but I would not know.

Regards, Ian

---