Alternative home network setup

Old August 5th 03, 05:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
The Plebism

Default Alternative home network setup

Is the following possibel:

TW dsl into NIC 1 on my Desktop PC

From NIC 2 in Desktop PC, a long Cat5 down to my lounge where it connects to
a router.

From the router there is an Xbox and a Wireless Access Point (WAP)

Is this workable??

I at present have my router upstairs with the WAP connnected, but the signal
is so **** downstairs for my laptop it is driving me to suicide.

Thanks

Pleb

XBox Live Tag - The Plebism
www.plebism.co.uk
www.gamertagdatabase.com

Old August 5th 03, 06:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
The Plebism

Presumably you can't easily connect the router downstairs? Why not just
run two cables, one down to the router and one back up to the desktop
PC?

At present, I have a Cat cable already insitu going fro bedroom to lounge
which powers the X. I dont want to really install more cable, and was hoping
to use the existing one for the Router. Then connect the X and the WAP from
it.

I know the Desktop would have to be on all the time but I can go with that

PLeb

Old August 8th 03, 09:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Max Coppin

In that case buy a 30 router from ebay.

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...
Can you not run the TW connection straight into the router instead of

the PC
first? Then you have one cable going from that to your pc and the long

one
going to your WAP.

The router _is_ the WAP.

Old August 8th 03, 12:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Max Coppin

So that he can have the WAP router in the lounge, the standard router
upstairs with his PC and not have the PC doing the routing. That way he
doesn't have to have the PC on, has spare ports upstairs etc. Maybe a
router with firewall would make the purchase more worthwhile. Just a
thought.

If he was feeling flush he could by another WAP router and have give his
entire house wireless coverage. (and himself a brain tumor)

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...
Can you not run the TW connection straight into the router instead

of
the PC
first? Then you have one cable going from that to your pc and the

long
one
going to your WAP.

The router _is_ the WAP.

Why would he want two routers?

Old August 14th 03, 05:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
The Plebism

If he was feeling flush he could by another WAP router and have give his
entire house wireless coverage. (and himself a brain tumor)

LOL - I had the WAP upstairs but it was **** for covering the whole house -
despite being plasterboard walls.

I have now fixed the prob by using a hub downstairs to share the Xbox and
the WAP. The router stays upstairs.

It is now surf heaven :-)

Thanks for your input.

The Pleb