Router == Access Point?

Old August 5th 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stuart Dennett

Default Router == Access Point?

Since I can't get a good wireless signal in my room, I might have to buy a
wireless access point to repeat the signal from the router, and put it in a
room between my computer and the router.

Both my card and the router are Belkin 54g, so I would buy another Belkin
product to save any hassles. The question is, why would I buy an access
point when a router costs the same price e.g. on
http://www.dabs.com/belkin/belkin.asp and seems to do everything an access
point can do and more?

Isn't there a cheaper version of an access point I can buy which just
repeats the signal from the router, without having a load of ports built in
and stuff?
--
Regards,
Stuart Dennett

Old August 10th 03, 06:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

If you find a device that reliably repeats the signal from the router, let
me know. An access point still has to be connected to network with a cable.
If you are expected this thing to pick up wireless signal from router and
then re-broadcast it to another wireless card or wireless adapter, I don't
think that is what an access point does.

Old August 10th 03, 07:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dave Stanton

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 06:49:58 +0100, Dave wrote:

If you find a device that reliably repeats the signal from the router, let
me know. An access point still has to be connected to network with a
cable. If you are expected this thing to pick up wireless signal from
router and then re-broadcast it to another wireless card or wireless
adapter, I don't think that is what an access point does.

The word is repeaters. Try

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/1571601

That seems to be what you need

Cheers