Speedtouch 510 v4.0 -Vs.- Draytek Vigor 2600

Old August 6th 03, 02:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default Speedtouch 510 v4.0 -Vs.- Draytek Vigor 2600

Hi,

Is the Draytek worth the extra money? What can it do that the Speedtouch
can't?

I'm looking for a router with built in firewall and a built in 4 port switch
as I may make use of it in the future.

I also might like to use a DynDNS service so inbuilt support for that would
be nice.

I realise the firewall with the 510 is difficult to configure but I'm
willing to rough it if that's the only difference worth being concerned
about. I have noticed that the Draytek has built in support for things like
VPN and also has DOS and DDoS protection. Does the 510 have these, is it a
problem that it doesn't? What other differences are there?

Fast ping times are important for me and apparently the 510 has one of the
fastest ping time. Also, hopefully a future f/w update will resolve the
firewall configuration issues.

Thanks in advance...

Old August 6th 03, 08:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"tHatDudeUK" wrote:

I also might like to use a DynDNS service so inbuilt support for that

would
be nice.

I have a 510v4, and it does not have DDNS support. However, if your
intending to run something 24/7 then wouldn't a DDNS client running on that
machine be as good ?

I realise the firewall with the 510 is difficult to configure but I'm
willing to rough it if that's the only difference worth being concerned
about. I have noticed that the Draytek has built in support for things

like
VPN and also has DOS and DDoS protection. Does the 510 have these, is it a
problem that it doesn't? What other differences are there?

These facilities are not really of much use. All they do is limit the
number of connections per second, usually on a per IP basis. If someone
decides to DOS you, then normally, the level of traffic will be far too high
fort his to have any effect. Several ISP's have been DOS'd when they have
100 Mb connections to the net, so nothing is going to protect an ADSL line
from this completely. That said, I can find no such facilities within the
510. The firewall is fairly configurable, but is only basic.

Overall, I am happy with the 510, and have found it to be very stable, I
would recommend it. However, the vigor seems to have better support, and
according to what I have read is just as stable, but a little expensive.

--

Martin
Old August 8th 03, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
paul blitz

When I went ADSL I too wanted a router with a proper firewall (simple NAT is
NOT a firewall!)

I homed in on the USR Sureconnect 9003 and Draytek 2600, both of which have
a form of "stateful inspection" firewall. Hadn't come across the
"Speedtouch".

I went for the USR (cheaper, at about 110 inc vat, also a "big name". It
certainly passes the symantec security probe, and works fine for me. Mind
you, the firewall setup is not particularly obvious (help anyone! I can
manage a pix, but the USR has me stumped!).

Installed a USR 9003 for a friend last week: plug in router, insert CD.... 5
mins later we were surfing!

I have heard of a couple of people who have Drayteks. and they too are
happy.

Paul