Remote dekstop winME laptop XP Pro desktop

Old August 6th 03, 01:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Webmaster

Default Remote dekstop winME laptop XP Pro desktop

Hi,

I have downlaoded and successfully installed the client software from the
microsoft site and I can establish a 'dial-up' VPN connection to the XP
machine from the millenium edition machine. But I cannot start the remote
desktop session - every time I try I get:

'The client could not connect to the remote computer

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer may be too busy to
accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are
preventing your connection.'

I want to be able to control the XP desktop from the laptop connected via a
LAN. The LAN is working fine for internet connection sharing, file
transfers, ping etc.

Anyone offer any tips?
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Motorola remote unlocking - 10. Sagem remote unlocking 13
Old August 6th 03, 03:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jay

Second that on RealVNC - a lovely, simple piece of software that "does
what it says on the tin".

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:25:34 +0100, CB wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:44:28 +0100 and in article
, Webmaster said...
: I want to be able to control the XP desktop from the laptop connected via a
: LAN.

If you can't get remote desktop working, perhaps you could consider a
VNC - Tight VNC or RealVNC. Both better than Windows' implementation of
VNC.

Old August 6th 03, 03:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Khyle Westmoreland

In , Webmaster
farted out:
Hi,

I have downlaoded and successfully installed the client software from
the microsoft site and I can establish a 'dial-up' VPN connection to
the XP machine from the millenium edition machine. But I cannot start
the remote desktop session - every time I try I get:

'The client could not connect to the remote computer

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer may be too
busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network
problems are preventing your connection.'

I want to be able to control the XP desktop from the laptop connected
via a LAN. The LAN is working fine for internet connection sharing,
file transfers, ping etc.

Anyone offer any tips?

I had this problem connecting to my WinXP machine. If you want to do it via
the built in WinXP desktop connection you will need to login as admin and do
the following:

Start Settings Control Panel Administrative Tools Services.

Find 'Fast User Switching Compatibility' and enable it (right click and
click start).
Then do the same with Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Terminal Services.

After that, restart and you should be able to use Remote Desktop Connection.
If you're running IIS you should be able to use the TSWEB service to connect
as well.

--
Khyle Westmoreland
http : / / www (dot) khyle (dot) org (dot) uk