Configuration problem

Old August 7th 03, 02:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trench Rat

Default Configuration problem

Hi,
I've networked two xp machines to broadband connection via a 4port Etec
router/modem and have had no problems with file transfers and gaming between
the two over the lan. However the latest game, which we have successfully
played over the lan and have both connected independently through the router
to the same distant online gamer server, also requires some port settings to
be changed to allow incoming players to connect to a hosted server on one of
the home pc's.
My problem is that I cannot seem to acces the router control panel with my
web browser. I know I have done it before when the router was first
installed and I'm positive back then that I followed the manual which says
to enter 10.0.0.2 for an address, but when I try that now I get a page
unknown error.
Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened to change things and
how I can rectify it please?
Cheers!
Andy

Old August 7th 03, 10:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

You could try a hard reset of the router - this should get settings back to
defaults (you will of course loose any other settings you have made..... you
can usually save the router setup to a file if required).

Also try 10.0.1.2 or 10.0.1.1 - maybe 192.168.01 or 192.168.1.1 ?

Did the router come with a CD with a config utility? - if so give it a
try...

Clear the browser cache too.... just in case.

Guy

Old August 7th 03, 03:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim

Bigguy wrote:
You could try a hard reset of the router - this should get settings back to
defaults (you will of course loose any other settings you have made..... you
can usually save the router setup to a file if required).

Also try 10.0.1.2 or 10.0.1.1 - maybe 192.168.01 or 192.168.1.1 ?

Did the router come with a CD with a config utility? - if so give it a
try...

Clear the browser cache too.... just in case.

10.0.0.1 would be worth trying. Failing that have a look at ipconfig -
it will show the gateway address, which should be the router. Better
models of router come with a serial port for you to use to console in -
just stick a null-modem cable on your serial port, attach to the router
and fire up hyperterm (or whatever the XP equivalent is), so you
wouldn't need to know the address (and extremely handy when you've
managed to "configure" the router so well it breaks ).

tim