Wireless Newbie - Quick question!

Old August 8th 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ashnewstead

Default Wireless Newbie - Quick question!

I would like to create a wireless network at home.. I have a desktop PC, and
a laptop which gets used in various places around the house. What I need to
know is the following:

1) Can I just buy a PCI wireless card for the desktop and a PCMCIA wireless
card for the laptop and get them to talk to each other? I realise that
there's different standards, and presumably I'd have to make sure they were
of the same standard to talk to each other.

2) Is it not that simple? Will I need some sort of hub/switch/router?? I am
not using broadband (Rural Cumbria hasn't got that far just yet!) so would
like just to share the dialup connection on the desktop.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Cheers

Old August 15th 03, 12:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zipper

ashnewstead wrote:
I would like to create a wireless network at home.. I have a desktop
PC, and a laptop which gets used in various places around the house.
What I need to know is the following:

1) Can I just buy a PCI wireless card for the desktop and a PCMCIA
wireless card for the laptop and get them to talk to each other? I
realise that there's different standards, and presumably I'd have to
make sure they were of the same standard to talk to each other.

2) Is it not that simple? Will I need some sort of
hub/switch/router?? I am not using broadband (Rural Cumbria hasn't
got that far just yet!) so would like just to share the dialup
connection on the desktop.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Cheers

Another newbie here,
What you say in point one is right. You would only need a hub if you are
going outside the distance that the wireless cards can work over (i.e. to
extend the range). In reality the router is needed only if you are going to
use broadband. If you do go for this, when it's available, get for a router
and adsl modem in one box. Saves time trying to sort things out.

For networking tips try
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto...t-ethernet.asp
or http://www.wown.com/ and also the essential
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ .

Hope they help you out.

Old August 15th 03, 01:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Zipper" oocom
wrote in :

You would only need a hub if you are
going outside the distance that the wireless cards can work over
(i.e. to extend the range).

Eh? Does not compute, please explain.

--
BRG
===
Old August 16th 03, 12:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zipper

BRG wrote:
"Zipper" oocom
wrote in :

You would only need a hub if you are
going outside the distance that the wireless cards can work over
(i.e. to extend the range).

Eh? Does not compute, please explain.

As I said I'm also a newbie but I thought that you can link between two pc's
wirelessly in two ways, the first being direct (ad hoc? i think its called)
and the other through the hub. So if you were linking thru the hub could/
would this not increase the distance apart the two pc's could be as you
would have only to link to the hub and then the hub links to the next pc.
This is just what I understood when reading up on this, maybe I should read
a bit more closely? If it's wrong can you explain where?

thanks