Can a cable/dsl router work with my current connection?

Old August 9th 03, 02:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Rose

Default Can a cable/dsl router work with my current connection?

I've been given a Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...nt_Id=1&Produc
t_Id=113464 ) and would like to know if it is possible to use this with
my current connection. My connection is Freeserve ADSL, currently
connected via the Alcatel Speedtouch USB.

The reason I ask is that the router has a WAN port on the back (which
is not at all like any of the current connectors used) and I've been
told it is not compatible with my current connection.

Thanks for any advice you can give me :-)

--
Cheers
Phil.

Sent using Virtual Access 5.50 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Old August 9th 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Khyle Westmoreland

In , CB
farted out:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 14:17:15 +0100 and in article
VA.00000026.04854579 @thetribe.fsnet.co.uk, Phil Rose said...
I've been given a Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...nt_Id=1&Produc
t_Id=113464 ) and would like to know if it is possible to use this
with my current connection. My connection is Freeserve ADSL,
currently connected via the Alcatel Speedtouch USB.

Does that router have an ADSL modem built in? If so, then yes you can
use it. If it doesn't then i'm afraid not.

It doesn't have a built in ADSL Modem, but if your existing modem has a
ethernet port (which I assume it doesn't, being the Speedtouch USB) it
should work.

--
Khyle Westmoreland
http : / / www (dot) khyle (dot) org (dot) uk

Old August 9th 03, 09:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Rose

In article , Khyle
Westmoreland wrote:
I've been given a Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...nt_Id=1&Produc
t_Id=113464 ) and would like to know if it is possible to use this
with my current connection. My connection is Freeserve ADSL,
currently connected via the Alcatel Speedtouch USB.

Does that router have an ADSL modem built in? If so, then yes you can
use it. If it doesn't then i'm afraid not.

It doesn't have a built in ADSL Modem, but if your existing modem has a
ethernet port (which I assume it doesn't, being the Speedtouch USB) it
should work.

No, it doesn't have an ethernet port unfortunately, thanks for your reply's
(Khyle and CB), looks like I'm not going to save money after all :-)

--
Cheers
Phil.

Old August 9th 03, 09:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Phil Rose wrote:
I've been given a Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...nt_Id=1&Produc
t_Id=113464 ) and would like to know if it is possible to use this with
my current connection. My connection is Freeserve ADSL, currently
connected via the Alcatel Speedtouch USB.

The reason I ask is that the router has a WAN port on the back (which
is not at all like any of the current connectors used) and I've been
told it is not compatible with my current connection.

My router (same description) is Belkin part no F5D5230-4. All the ports
are RJ45 (Ethernet).

Subject to expert opinion, all you need is a USB to RJ45 convertor and an
Ethernet cable with 2 male plugs. If you are using the USB connection on
your PC, you'll need a USB to ethernet convertor plus ethernet cable for
that as well. Purists will insist you fit an Ethernet card. My way avoids
climbing inside your PC though it may well reduce speed slightly.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old August 9th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Rose

In article , Jock Mackirdy wrote:
My router (same description) is Belkin part no F5D5230-4. All the ports
are RJ45 (Ethernet).

Subject to expert opinion, all you need is a USB to RJ45 convertor and an
Ethernet cable with 2 male plugs. If you are using the USB connection on
your PC, you'll need a USB to ethernet convertor plus ethernet cable for
that as well. Purists will insist you fit an Ethernet card. My way avoids
climbing inside your PC though it may well reduce speed slightly.

Ah, now this sounds promising :-)

I already have a network card in this machine so won't need the USB to
ethernet, thanks, I'll check out the USB to RJ45 converter.

--
Cheers
Phil.

Old August 11th 03, 04:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Phil Rose wrote:

I already have a network card in this machine so won't need the USB to
ethernet, thanks, I'll check out the USB to RJ45 converter.

I used one from D-Link which happened to be on offer at jungle.com before they
got swallowed up by Argos.

BTW it's good to find another VA user.

--