Streaming DVD over LAN

Old August 9th 03, 10:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Real nwsy

Default Streaming DVD over LAN

Is this possible?

Setup: One athlon1700 with mpeg decoder card crossovered to ****y little
K6-2 350 which used to have the decoder card in but now has no PCI sockets
left thanks to addition of LAN card. Only got 2mb graphics card but still
managed to knock out perfectly good dvd playback with the card in there.

Now what I want to do is stream the output from the dvd card now in the
athlon, over the LAN to the k6-2. Sigma designs do make a decoder card that
does the job but before I go to the expense, I wondered if there's any
wizardry or player I could use to stream the output with the setup I have.

TIA and I know I'm probably flogging a dead horse but no harm in asking...

Old August 9th 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tHatDudeUK

"Real nwsy" wrote in message
Is this possible?

Setup: One athlon1700 with mpeg decoder card crossovered to ****y little
K6-2 350 which used to have the decoder card in but now has no PCI sockets
left thanks to addition of LAN card. Only got 2mb graphics card but still
managed to knock out perfectly good dvd playback with the card in there.

Now what I want to do is stream the output from the dvd card now in the
athlon, over the LAN to the k6-2. Sigma designs do make a decoder card

that
does the job but before I go to the expense, I wondered if there's any
wizardry or player I could use to stream the output with the setup I have.

TIA and I know I'm probably flogging a dead horse but no harm in asking...

Map the DVD drive as a network drive and you can play the DVD over the lan
that way. Simply select the drive that it is mapped as in Power DVD or your
other DVD playing s/w. Dependent on your lan setup it should be ok.

Old August 10th 03, 12:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Real nwsy

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

"Real nwsy" wrote in message
[...]

Ah but that will be decoded by the software, not the DVD card. So far I've
tried it with Videolan and Power DVD with no joy. You see, the K6-2 is
*just* too slow to carry off software decoding, which is why I want to take
the decoded output of the Mpeg card and stream that over the LAN.

It does look like VideoLan can stream files to a UDP broadcast but I'm too
much of a novice to understand how.

The question in a nutshell is this: Can I stream the decoded output from my
Mpeg card?

Old August 10th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Hayward

Ah but that will be decoded by the software, not the DVD card. So far I've
tried it with Videolan and Power DVD with no joy. You see, the K6-2 is
*just* too slow to carry off software decoding, which is why I want to take
the decoded output of the Mpeg card and stream that over the LAN.

How about using VNC to watch on a remote desktop. It's a crazy idea but
it might just work :-)

James.

Old August 10th 03, 12:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Khyle Westmoreland

In , James Hayward
farted out:
Ah but that will be decoded by the software, not the DVD card. So
far I've tried it with Videolan and Power DVD with no joy. You see,
the K6-2 is *just* too slow to carry off software decoding, which is
why I want to take the decoded output of the Mpeg card and stream
that over the LAN.

How about using VNC to watch on a remote desktop. It's a crazy idea
but
it might just work :-)

James.

I tried that before. VNC doesn't send the video stream across a network,
rather it just displays a blank box/screen. Sorry!

--
Khyle Westmoreland
http : / / www (dot) khyle (dot) org (dot) uk