Sharing External Drive

Old August 11th 03, 01:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Sands

Default Sharing External Drive

I have a Maxtor External Drive connected to my computer with a USB cable.
Other family members can see it over our in home network but only if my
computer is turned on. Is there a way to connect it to the router so they
can access it whether or not my computer is running?

Thanks for your help.

Mike in PA, USA

Old August 11th 03, 02:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Mike Sands wrote:

I have a Maxtor External Drive connected to my computer with a USB cable.
Other family members can see it over our in home network but only if my
computer is turned on. Is there a way to connect it to the router so they
can access it whether or not my computer is running?

Only if your router runs an operating system which is capable of
mounting the filesystem(s) on the drive, exporting them to the rest of
the network and supports USB.

If the router is an "out of the box" job then it is almost certainly
impossible. If it is a PC running something like Linux with routing
software then it may be possible. What is your router?

Even if the router does have a proper OS on it and can do this it
probably isn't a good idea. The router is the interface between your
network and the Internet and so is more prone to being attacked than the
machines behind it, especially if it does NAT and the other machines use
private addresses. It is a good idea to keep shared data away from such
machines.

Is there any particular reason you need to turn your PC off? They don't
use huge amounts of power. The monitor uses more, turning this off
doesn't affect the PC's ability to share network drives. I would just
leave the PC on and turn the monitor off.

Regards, Ian