PC keeps crashing !

Old August 11th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quantum Sleep

Default PC keeps crashing !

My PC keeps crashing. It says

"This shutdown is initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM"

"Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Called (RPC) terminated
unexpectedly."

I've resinstalled Windows and still it keeps happening. I don't have a
firewall installed at the moment, could this be a DOS attack ? Anyone any
idea whats going on ?

Cheers for any help

Old August 11th 03, 09:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mcploppy

Go he http://www.tandmdigital.com/

Old August 11th 03, 10:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quantum Sleep

"Groove" wrote in message
Quantum Sleep said this...
I've resinstalled Windows and still it keeps happening. I don't have a
firewall installed at the moment, could this be a DOS attack ? Anyone

any
idea whats going on ?

It's an attack.
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11
Without a firewall you're stuffed.
Look for a file on your system called MSBLAST.exe
If you find it you're in trouble. Report back.

I have msblast.exe...i'm just following through with the link given by
Mcploppy as i type...

Old August 11th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quantum Sleep

"Mcploppy " wrote in message

Quantum Sleep bashed at the keyboard and said :

My PC keeps crashing. It says

"This shutdown is initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM"

"Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Called (RPC)
terminated unexpectedly."

I've resinstalled Windows and still it keeps happening. I don't have a
firewall installed at the moment, could this be a DOS attack ? Anyone
any idea whats going on ?

Cheers for any help

Go he http://www.tandmdigital.com/

How dreadfull is that, jesus h moley.....i don't know what i'm gonna have to
do, still thinking....

Old August 11th 03, 10:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Quantum Sleep said this...
I have msblast.exe...i'm just following through with the link given by
Mcploppy as i type...

C&P from "alex fraser" with thanks.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First find and kill the process with Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc).

Then Start-Run... "regedit" and search for "msblast". Should get you to
he HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

You should see a "windows auto update" key as mentioned in the above link,
delete the key.
Finally, search for "msblast" on your system drive and delete it.

~~~~~~~~~~ this should clear it ~~~~~~~~~~~
--
~ dvd ~
Old August 11th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quantum Sleep

"Groove" wrote in message
Quantum Sleep said this...
I have msblast.exe...i'm just following through with the link given by
Mcploppy as i type...

C&P from "alex fraser" with thanks.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First find and kill the process with Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc).

Then Start-Run... "regedit" and search for "msblast". Should get you to
he HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

You should see a "windows auto update" key as mentioned in the above link,
delete the key.
Finally, search for "msblast" on your system drive and delete it.

~~~~~~~~~~ this should clear it ~~~~~~~~~~~
--
~ dvd ~

All done and dusted ! I hope lol, Ty for that fab info, i was getting to my
wits end with it ! THANK YOU !!!!!

Incidentally which newsgroup did you get this info from cos i might
subscribe myself !

Old August 11th 03, 11:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Quantum Sleep said this...

All done and dusted ! I hope lol, Ty for that fab info, i was getting to

my
wits end with it ! THANK YOU !!!!!

Incidentally which newsgroup did you get this info from cos i might
subscribe myself !

You're welcome. The info came from a thread in uk.comp.homebuilt
Some nice people in there.

--
~ dvd ~
Old August 11th 03, 11:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Quantum Sleep said this...

p.s. i also found the file MSBLAST.EXE-1c3A3376.pf in the folder
C:.WINDOWS/Prefetch. Should i delete that too ?

That will not be an executable so not a problem, but it can't hurt to delete
it anyway just to keep things tidy.

--
~ dvd ~
Old August 12th 03, 09:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
oo^^artnada^^oo

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980#WinXP

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp