What am I doing wrong?

Old August 12th 03, 01:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sean Heenan

Default What am I doing wrong?

Up until a few months ago I was using a crappy generic adsl modem/router to
connect my 2 PCs and 2 laptops to the internet and each other. When this
died I thought I would push the boat out and splurge 100 on a Netgear DG814
router.

Since installing this the pcs all connect to the internet but I cannot get
them to network with one another.

the network kinda looks like this:

DG814
? ? ? ?

Main PC Wireless Access Point 2ND PC X-Box
(XP) (98)
?

2 Laptops with wireless cards
(XP + ME)

All connect ok but dont see each other. I have tried running the network
setup on XP but it doesnt seem to work. I have also tried to assign each pc
a static ip address (192.168.0.2........3.4 etc) but this stops the
computers connecting to t'internet completely.

Any ideas folsk???

SH

Old August 13th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Sean Heenan" wrote in message
[...]

All in same workgroup? What IP's are they assigning, when left to do so
automatically?

Marcus

Old August 15th 03, 01:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Hughes

Dave Barlow wrote:

During a perfect moment of peace at Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:00:25 +0100,
"Sean Heenan" interrupted with:

All connect ok but dont see each other.

If they don't see each other how are they 'connecting OK'? Can you
reach the Internet?

I have tried running the network setup on XP but it doesnt seem to work.
I have also tried to assign each pc
a static ip address (192.168.0.2.. ......3.4 etc) but this stops the
computers connecting to t'internet completely.

What IP address is your router? Can you ping it? Can you tracert
outside the network. Before assiging static IP's did you use DHCP, is
your DHCP server the Router or do you use ICS on the XP box.

Can you do the following on your XP machine, open a Command prompt by
doing StartProgramsAccessoriesCommand Prompt. Then enter the
following commands,

c:\ipconfig/all
c:\route print
c:\nslookup

Copy and paste the output into a reply and define what IP address each
box has.

My guess is that you are not defining the Router as the Default
Gateway in your IP stack and probably not defining any DNS servers
either. Also make sure you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP defined and check
any Firewall software such as Zonealarm.

um, the default gateway or dns servers have nothing to do with local LAN
stuff, (in most cases anyway) hes saying his local pc's cant see eachother,

i would take a guess that these pc's can ping each other, is the netgear
router multiport? are they plugged into that, just maybe router is
filtering each port for netbios ports (most decent routers will firewall
off netbios ports)

but apart from that wild guess, without you giving us some more info, its
near impossible to tell.