Strange IP's

Old August 11th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

Default Strange IP's

Setup:

Broadband--XP--W98Se--Printer

Why are the computers assigning the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx heirarchy of IP
addresses to my network adapters? Filesharing works but ICS does not.

Marcus

Old August 13th 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

How is your BB conned to your XP and how is your XP conned to your Win98?

NTL Cable --USB--XP--Eth.--Crossover--Eth.--W98se--Parallel--Printer

ICS has to be enabled on the `connection' to the BB. It then defaults to
192.168.0.1 and issues numbers in the 192.168.0.2 - 254 range to any other
device that requests one.

I try "repairing" the "Local Area Network" in XP network connections, which
is the connection between the two, but I get "Repair operation failed -
could not renew IP address, please contact your system admin. or ISP" (but
I'm not calling expensive and useless NTL technical support). Sometimes when
I unshare and reshare the internet connection, I get an error message "The
system is unable to accept control messages at this time." The XP firewall
is off, but I have NIS2003. This doesn't affect the problem as it is the
same, enabled or disabled

169.xxx.xxx.xxx is the default number that windows issues if it can't

find a
DHCP server.

On the W98se box, I do "Start Run winipcfg", but clicking "release" does
nothing. Clicking on "renew" does nothing for a while, but after a couple of
minutes I get a message "Error renewing IP address: Could not find DHCP
server. Any ideas why?

Looks like a full reinstall is in order, but I'm waiting until XP SP2 comes
out, so I can make a slipstream CD and avoid all the hassle updating.

Marcus