Home network!

Old August 12th 03, 11:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Danny

Default Home network!

Hi,

I currently have 5 pc's that I want to share between an NTL broadband
connection. My question is which would be the best way to connect them all
and share the broadband feed?! Would using a router work without setting up
ICS, as you would have to do if you were using a standard hub?! I'm thinking
that I won't need a broadband router with a built in modem as the STB
already acts as that. So basically my question is which is the best
broadband router/wsitch/hub etc to use! And also cost is a factor.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

Old August 12th 03, 12:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Danny said this...
I currently have 5 pc's that I want to share between an NTL broadband
connection. My question is which would be the best way to connect them
all and share the broadband feed?! Would using a router work without
setting up ICS, as you would have to do if you were using a standard
hub?! I'm thinking that I won't need a broadband router with a built in
modem as the STB already acts as that. So basically my question is which
is the best broadband router/wsitch/hub etc to use! And also cost is a
factor.

Hi Danny,

I run my NTL CM to a Linksys BEFSR41 which gives me 4 ports for my PCs.
I can totally recommend this kit, it's reliable and easy to set up. I
believe Linksys make an 8-port version which should be just what you need.
You don't need to mess about with ICS and you get the NAT firewall effect
as a bonus. An extra layer of protection which can only be a 'good thing'
HTH

--
~ dvd ~
Old August 12th 03, 01:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Danny

"Groove" wrote...

Danny said this...
[...]

Thats perfect thnaks, the BEFSR81 is exactly what I was looking for... I
seriously didn't think they did any 8 port models as none showed up when I
was researching this originally. But this Linksys one will definitely do the
job. Thanks again!

Danny

Old August 12th 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Groove

Danny said this...

Thats perfect thnaks, the BEFSR81 is exactly what I was looking for...

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
--
~ dvd ~