Remote access to DSL-504 router?

Old August 14th 03, 09:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jez

Default Remote access to DSL-504 router?

We have a small LAN at work with broadband and a D_Link DSL-504
router. I have broadband (with Netgear 824M router) at my home and I
want to access the LAN using PC Anywhere (or similar). D-Link tech
support seem vague and somewhat inconsistant with their advice on the
DSL router setup. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old August 14th 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

(Jez) wrote in
om:

BRG wrote in message
(Jez) wrote in
m:

We have a small LAN at work with broadband and a D_Link
DSL-504 router. I have broadband (with Netgear 824M router)
at my home and I want to access the LAN using PC Anywhere (or
similar). D-Link tech support seem vague and somewhat
inconsistant with their advice on the DSL router setup. Any
advice would be very much appreciated.

You need to set up the DSL-504 to map the inbound port
number(s) that PC Anywhere uses to a PC on your work LAN that
will accept the request.
The docs for PC Anywhere should tell you which port(s) it uses,
and ditto for the 504 should tell you how to set up port
mappings.

Suggest you give due consideration to the security implications
of this set-up. A VPN connection may be worth investigating.

Thanks for the information. Am I right in saying that if I set
up as you described then anyone with PCAnywhere could gain
access to the PC on our LAN?

I haven't used PCA itself, but the other remote access packages
I've used provide password authentication to avoid unwanted
visitors.

How do I set up a VPN,

Stretching my direct knowledge here, I've only experience of it as
an end user on a corporate network.

I have heard that newer versions of Windows have it built in?

At least Windows 2000 and XP Pro have VPN capability built-in e.g.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...mobile/vpns.as

BRG
===
http://www.brgservices.co.uk/