thanks in advance.. "user has not been granted the requested logon type"

Old August 14th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBR5

Default thanks in advance.. "user has not been granted the requested logon type"

before starting, thanks a lot for any help.. and I mean it..
(I would be sending postcards to whoever can help me solve this)

I guess you are already famous with this error message.. no? well it's my
nightmare!
I have 2 winXP pro machines.. same workgroup.. connected to a switch.. I can
see in the network window the two machines, from BOTH pc's.. pc1 can access
pc2, but NOT vice versa.. when I try from pc2 to pc1, I get the famous
message "user has not been granted the requested logon type bla bla message"

There is nothing wrong with the cable or the physical path between the pc
since Age of Empires II for instance works pretty perfectly networked
without a glitch.
and even from the pc1 that can access pc2, copying files back or forth takes
AGES.. I had to wait a lot to wait for a word file to be copied!!! a
diskette was better option.. seriously, as if it's literally choking.. I
dont know what's the problem, but I know I would be SO grateful for any help
and expertise.
to save you some questions, here are some hints:
two machines, XP Pro, same workgroup, the folder shared is FULLY shared
without any restrictions, in the security policy I allowed from both ends
anyone to access the network resources.. no firewalls, whether built it or
third party, (although my firewall should allow the network activity but I
disabled it anyway)
Is there anyway, for instance, in the administrative tools, to reset all
the security settings and administrator and group and user policies as they
were since the beginning (like default settings or so..)??

Old August 14th 03, 03:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:27:03 +0200, "NBR5" wrote:

[...]

Presumably, you have accounts with the same username on both machines.
Check that the password for the accounts is the same on both machines.

If this doesn't work, then you may have a problem with SMB message
signing, in which case try:

use Regedt32 to find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Rdr\Parameters

Add new DWORD Value EnableSecuritySignature
Add new DWORD Value RequireSecuritySignature

Set both values to 1 (enable) or 0 (disable), according to taste.

Restart your workstation.

--
"You didn't slay the dragon?!"
"It's on my to-do list, now come on!"
Old August 14th 03, 03:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:34:12 +0100, Derek
wrote:

"user has not been granted the requested logon type" bla bla message"

Presumably, you have accounts with the same username on both machines.
Check that the password for the accounts is the same on both machines.

If this doesn't work, then you may have a problem with SMB message
signing, in which case try:

Arrggghhhhh!! I should have said: On both machines -

use Regedt32 to find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Rdr\Parameters

Add new DWORD Value EnableSecuritySignature
Add new DWORD Value RequireSecuritySignature

Set both values to 1 (enable) or 0 (disable), according to taste.

Make sure that the values are the same on both machines.

Restart your workstations.

Derek
--
Good judgement comes with experience.
Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgement.
Old August 15th 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 05:35:00 +0200, "NBR5" wrote:

Thanks Derek I will be trying that out; but here is the situation now:
pc1 has the account name admin, while pc2 has the account name admin2
(both administrators, although the machines should be networked too on
different users account for shared folders.. right?)

so you are saying I should have the passwords (only passwords, not username
too?) of both accounts, on both machines, the SAME?

They should be identical, which means they should be the same type of
user (administrator, or restricted account) with the same username,
and the same password on both machines.
(This eliminates the possibility that you are being logged in as
"guest" on the other machine, since it can not find the username among
its local accounts)

If this doesn't fix the "user has not been granted the requested logon
type" problem, I've been through my notes here, and found this
procedure, which checks the security policies on the machines. Do
this this on both machines (This checks the security settings) :-

1) Go To Start-Run-type "secpol.msc"
2) Double click Local Policy
3) Double click User Rights Assignment
4) Search for the following policies:
a. "Access this computer from the network"
b. "Deny access to this computer from the network"

6) The default settings for the "Access this computer from the
network" policy is to allow: Administrators, Power Users, Users,
Backup Operators, and the Everyone group. All should have check boxes
checked

7) The default setting for the "Deny access to this computer from the
network" policy is blank. SUPPORT_388945a0 may be listed here, and if
it is, then that's ok. No one else should be listed in this policy.

8) Ensure that all the groups are listed to allow access and that only
SUPPORT_388945a0 is listed in the deny policy.

9)Please also grant the user "Logon as a batch job" rights.

and for the second trick, should I set the value to 'enable' or 'disable' so
it works? or should I try both?

I've just realised that I've given you the NT Keys for this part (I
first came across this problem connecting XP Pro into an NT4 network)

The correct keys for XP Pro a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/LanManServer/Parameters/EnableSecuritySignature
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/LanManServer/Parameters/RequireSecuritySignature

Check that the values are the same on both machines first (They're
both set to 4 on the XP Pro workstation here). Then try setting the
values to disable (0). (This may help the with the network speed).

Derek
--
Fuch's Warning: If you actually look like your passport photo, you
aren't well enough to travel.
Old August 17th 03, 06:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBR5

Hi Derek,

Well I've done everything according to your instructions, and there is a
tiny progress since now I can use the winchat software, which means the
2pc's are more open to each other now )
but I can't still copy files. Even a word files takes ages to copy, and
usually, in 99% of the cases it stops in the middle and gives me this error
message: "Cannot copy fileX: the specified network name is no longer
available." this happens especially when the files are large in size (once,
it copied the whole file, but it was a small file and is really a rare case)

the good thing, as I told you, is now that I could see the shared folder
from both pc's, and see their contents, but i cannot copy. and what is more
annoying, that while copying (in the beginning of the process, before it
gets disconnected) I look at the network monitor and notice that it's taking
0.02% of the network bandwidth!! (i have a 100mbps over a switch) and it
really feels that is choking.. somtimes freezing everything around.

Why is this so frustrating!!!! I mean what am I asking for?? is there a way
to reset everything concerning the administration settings and security
permissions and everything to its out of the box state? I heard from many
people that at least the simple file sharing system in the XP is known to be
so friendly and automatic bla bla bla.

Oh.. and I tried to make the both usernames on the both pc's the same, same
password, but it didnt let me connect this way from pc1 to pc2, but weirdly,
it let me connect from pc2 to pc1. (It said something about not allowing
multiple sharing instances or usernames on same network resources or
something..)

and also not to forget that the speed of opening (just opening, mind you...
no copying) of the shared folder has obviously increased after inserting
those values in the registry (RequireSecuritySignature and
EnableSecuritySignature) but only from pc1 to pc2 while it's really slow the
other way round.

Im so grateful for you taking time to read all this and Im seriously sending
you few postcards once this is done!

Old August 23rd 03, 10:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBR5

Hi again,

| It's great if your networking needs are simple, if your network is
| small, if you've only got one version of windows involved, and if it
| works straight away.

Well YES! my network needs are very, very simple. I just need to connect to
share files mostly. If that's all I can get, I dont mind it.
It would be great of course to administer the other pc from the first one,
remotely connect to it, to share internet connection, etc.. etc.. but they
are just secondary issues that I dont crave for now.. I just need to connect
to share and transfer files, and then I would be happy!

and yes, we are dealing with same operating system (WinXP Pro) on both PC's.
Both PC's have Realtek network cards (One is Realtek RTL8139 810x family,
and the other is Realtek RTL8139, and both have latest signed drivers from
Mircrosoft, through windows update) and the switch is an AceLink 8-Port Fast
Ethernet Switch 10/100mbps, and pc1 and pc2 are connected to port2 and port3
respectively.
There is no domain and no Windows Server, just a workgroup which is MSHOME
which is the default name as I have not touched it so not to give it any
excuse )

I did as you instructed Derek*, and there are good news! pc1 to pc2 worked
just FINE through the Link speed set on Full 10mbps on both cards (it used
to be set to AUTO before). I also noticed an increase in performance from
pc2 to pc1 (i.e. opening the shared
folder) so I can see the files from pc2 to pc1 but I can transfer or delete
or do anything through that.. however, as I mentioned, even the error
messages are quicker now... (the main error message while TRYING to copy a
file is still "Cannot copy fileX: the specified network name is no longer
available.")
and I noticed some settings that I didnt touch yet in the network card
configuration like network address=not present, and buffer receive
size=64K.. so should I leave them as they are?

I think we are getting there, thanks to you. But my question.. why I have to
use only the 10mbps speed on cards that can do the 100mbps? and why for
example the Age of Empires game worked just so fine through both TCP/IP and
IPX protocols without any problem?

Many thanks again!

*Also both pc's are set to simple file sharing now

Old August 23rd 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:53:45 +0200, "NBR5" wrote:

snipped

and yes, we are dealing with same operating system (WinXP Pro) on both PC's.
Both PC's have Realtek network cards (One is Realtek RTL8139 810x family,
and the other is Realtek RTL8139, and both have latest signed drivers from
Mircrosoft, through windows update) and the switch is an AceLink 8-Port Fast
Ethernet Switch 10/100mbps, and pc1 and pc2 are connected to port2 and port3
respectively.
*Also both pc's are set to simple file sharing now

Ok, I'm using Realtek 8139 based cards here. I'm not familar with the
AceLink product.

I did as you instructed Derek*, and there are good news! pc1 to pc2 worked
just FINE through the Link speed set on Full 10mbps on both cards (it used
to be set to AUTO before). I also noticed an increase in performance from
pc2 to pc1 (i.e. opening the shared
folder) so I can see the files from pc2 to pc1 but I can transfer or delete
or do anything through that.. however, as I mentioned, even the error
messages are quicker now... (the main error message while TRYING to copy a
file is still "Cannot copy fileX: the specified network name is no longer
available.")

Ok, some more things to do.

1) plug the machines into different ports, and see if that cures the
"Cannot copy file" errors.

2) Set both machines to 10mbps half duplex, and see if that cures the
"Cannot copy file" errors.

3) If setting both machines to 10mbps half duplex does cure the
"Cannot copy file" errors, then set both machines to 100mbps, half
duplex.

4) See if these settings work, and then report back.

and I noticed some settings that I didnt touch yet in the network card
configuration like network address=not present, and buffer receive
size=64K.. so should I leave them as they are?

Yes, you should leave these other settings as they are.

I think we are getting there, thanks to you. But my question.. why I have to
use only the 10mbps speed on cards that can do the 100mbps?

It may be a compatability problem between your network cards and the
switch; This is why we are trying different combinations of speed and
duplex settings, in order to find settings that will work reliably on
your network.

(I've found that some combinations of various manufacturer's Network
Interface Cards and switches will not work reliably when the NICs are
set to full duplex.)

and why for
example the Age of Empires game worked just so fine through both TCP/IP and
IPX protocols without any problem?

Possibly because file copies try to send a large amount of data over
the network in a short time (which would give you a high level of
network problems, and causes things like the file and printer sharing
protocol to time out), while Age of Empires sends only a fairly small
amount of data over a longer period (giving you a low level of network
problems, allowing file and printer sharing to carry on working).

Derek
--
Fair Usage Quote from theregister.co.uk - "What a week for Microsoft. The
legal process starts to win the trial for the company, God's surgical