Firewire Networking

Old August 16th 03, 01:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Hughes

Default Firewire Networking

there was something about it either in PC Pro or tomshardware (i think i may
have seen it on both) a while back,

i would recommend giving them them static ips not DHCP.

Spinal wrote:

My 2 PCs connect to the internet via My 4 Port ADSL Router. And since my
new mobo in the PC has a FireWire port, ive bought a firewire cable to
connect the 2 PCS for the faster transfers between them.

But how do i setup windows (using WinXP Pro) on each PC so that they use
the Network card thats connected to the router for the internet only, and
the firewire connection for the network between them.

Ive tried setting it up, using the add new network wizard and only
selected the 1394 connection in the list, the 2ND PC gets assigned an
Automatic Private IP Address, but the meain PC (this one) always comes up
with Invalid IP Address.

Trying the view the computers in My network Places and PC2 sees PC1 but
only
the Printers & Faxes and Schdeuled Tasks and no files. and PC1 cant see
PC2 (comes up saying its not accessable).

Any one got any ideas how i set it up like this,.#

TIA