Desperate for help with a LinkSys WRT54g Router and Wireless PCMICIA WPC54g

Old August 16th 03, 02:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Hughes

Default Desperate for help with a LinkSys WRT54g Router and Wireless PCMICIA WPC54g

have you setup dns servers?

Mak wrote:

I have the following simple setup :-

ADSL - USB - Server(pc) - LAN(Cat5) - WRT54G - WIFI - WPC54G -
Client(Laptop)

Server (XP Pro)
Client (XP Home)
WRT54G has latest firmware v1.30.7 Jul 8, 2003

Everything is configured and seems to work, my client can ping
internet IP's no problem, even tracert works fine from the client.

Clients network connections include the "Internet Gateway on Server"
As soon as I boot my client, the server connects to the internet on
demand, all okay.

But - clients IE will not browse the web (which is set to use LAN and
no dialups)
Clients outlook will not connect via LAN, MSN the same... blah blah

So effectively, my network is running, but the client will not have
anything to do with it, apart from acknowledging it is there.

Client cannot even map drives to my servers shares.

Client can ping an external VPN IP - but the clients VPN connection
will not connect.

Before trying to configure ICS manually (the networking wizards will
NOT do it, I have ran them till sick of seeing them) I had a wifi file
sharing network running perfectly, drives mapped, the lot.

Cannot locate useful info on support.microsoft.com - all it does is
tell you to run the wizard, which won't work.

If I cannot sort this, the wifi has to go back - and it's not the
wifi's fault, which breaks my heart because it is excellent so far...

Please, begging, someone, please help...

Old August 16th 03, 11:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mak

Mike Hughes wrote in message .. .
have you setup dns servers?

Yes - but not entirely sure if I have done this correctly.

On server - I have set preferred and alternative DNS to the ones
listed for my internet connection by ipconfig /all

I have then set the same DNS on the client.

I have also tried setting the dns on both server and client to the
server's IP (192.168.0.1)

No joy either way.