Win XP & Win 98 file sharing problems

Old August 18th 03, 04:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
john morriss

Default Win XP & Win 98 file sharing problems

I set up a home network sharing an NTL cable modem, using a Linksys BEFSR41
4-port router. I set up the router on the XP machine and the internet works
fine on both it & the WIN 98 machine. As soon as I try to set up networking
doing file & print sharing the WIN 98 machine freezes up & will only work in
safe mode. The only way I can even get it to work is to disable file & print
sharing, and lower the graphics acceleration setting. So far, then, I can
only share the internet connection between the 2 computers, but nothing
else.
I read on another newsgroup that NETBEUI should be selected for file & print
sharing; however it's not installed on my PC. By the way I've tried turning
ZoneAlarm on & off - it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Is there anywher that I can find out what settings I need to adjust to get
my network working/

Old August 22nd 03, 12:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Moore

Several possible reasons but suggest you try the obvious first - NETBEUI.
I assume you refer to the XP machine when you say NETBEUI isn't installed?
If so, try the following.

Insert XP CD and browse to the VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI folder.
Copy the file Nbf.sys to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
Copy the file Netnbf.inf to C:\Windows\Inf (Hidden Folder)

To make the above hidden folder viewable, click START, click RUN, type
EXPLORER and press ENTER.
Click TOOLS, click FOLDER OPTIONS, then click the VIEW tab.
In ADVANCED SETTINGS, click SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS.....Ok

To add the NETBEUI protocol
Click START, click CONTROL PANEL the double click NETWORK CONNECTIONS.
Right click the adapter you wish to add NETBEUI to, and click PROPERTIES.
On the GENERAL tab, click INSTALL
Click PROTOCOL, then click ADD
Select NETBEUI from the list and click OK
Restart PC, and with any luck, NETBEUI will now be installed and working.

If WIN 98 machine also requires NETBEUI, this should be done in the usual
way by right clicking NETWORK NEIGHBOURHOOD, click PROPERTIES, click ADD,
select PROTOCOL, click ADD, select MICROSOFT, select NETBEUI, then click OK.

Hope this does the trick!

john morriss wrote in message
[...]

---