Broadband to 2 pc's?

Old August 19th 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Aradur

Default Broadband to 2 pc's?

I have two pc's networked with Netgear Cards and Ethernet Hub. The
hub has 4 RJ45 ports.
I've just got Broadband - including standard Alcatel Speed Touch USB (Green
Frog) - to one of the pc's.
Apart from removing the USB connection from pc1 and sticking it into pc2
what's the best way of arranging for Broadband to both pc1 and pc2 (not
necessarily at the same time).
Thanks,
Pete

Old August 19th 03, 10:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Hughes

setup ICS on your broadband connection. The adsl modem should show up as its
own network connection, if its windows XP you can just right click that and
goto properties, then its sharing i think, just click share this connection
or something like that. There is plenty of information on how to do this
all over the net,

the other option is to ditch the crappy usb modem and get a proper adsl
ethernet router.

Old August 19th 03, 11:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Real nwsy

"Aradur" wrote in message
I have two pc's networked with Netgear Cards and Ethernet Hub. The
hub has 4 RJ45 ports.
I've just got Broadband - including standard Alcatel Speed Touch USB

(Green
Frog) - to one of the pc's.
Apart from removing the USB connection from pc1 and sticking it into pc2
what's the best way of arranging for Broadband to both pc1 and pc2 (not
necessarily at the same time).
Thanks,
Pete

Internet Connection Sharing

Don't know about WinXP because I don't like it, but in win 2000 you right
click on the icon in Control Panel/Network & dialup Connections - go to
"properties", then the "sharing" tab. The "Shared Access" section is the one
you want.

This will play with your internal IP addresses. Set PC2 to collect its IP
address from elsewhere.

Can't be that different in XP. Someone will tell you soon enough.

Not much help was I? Sorry. Just done it myself y'see, only without the hub.

Old August 20th 03, 04:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Patrick Navin (iMac)

In Mike Hughes wrote:
setup ICS on your broadband connection. The adsl modem should show up
as its own network connection, if its windows XP you can just right
click that and goto properties, then its sharing i think, just click
share this connection or something like that. There is plenty of
information on how to do this all over the net,

the other option is to ditch the crappy usb modem and get a proper
adsl ethernet router.

I can certainly recommend getting a decent router. with prices from as
little as 60 it makes much more sense and provides you with beter
security

Patrick

--

http://www.notepad-computer.co.uk
Notepad Computers - a work in progress
Old August 20th 03, 05:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Aradur

"Patrick Navin (iMac)" wrote in
message ...
In Mike Hughes wrote:
setup ICS on your broadband connection. The adsl modem should show up
as its own network connection, if its windows XP you can just right
click that and goto properties, then its sharing i think, just click
share this connection or something like that. There is plenty of
information on how to do this all over the net,

the other option is to ditch the crappy usb modem and get a proper
adsl ethernet router.

I can certainly recommend getting a decent router. with prices from as
little as 60 it makes much more sense and provides you with beter
security

If I went for a Router would this replace my frog or be in addition to...and
it would it replace my Netgear Ethernet Hub or be in addition to?
Thanks.