" PC's, 2 NIC's, 1 Xover HELP PLEASE!

Old August 20th 03, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Les & Claire

Default " PC's, 2 NIC's, 1 Xover HELP PLEASE!

Hi all,
leapt into this a bit gung ho this afternoon. NIC's installed and
working correctly, cross over cat 5 cable connected.

Now, Win98 on one pc and WinME on the other. Is there a handy site to run
down the basic settings? I've got visible shared folders (ie their own) on
each PC, but not visible across the network.
What protocols etc do I need enabled. The wizard looks like it should be
helping but doesn't actually....

Just a pointer to some info please, then I'll check it all
systematically...

Les

--
Top Posting© Since 1997

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

Old August 20th 03, 06:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Real nwsy

"Les & Claire" wrote in message
Hi all,
leapt into this a bit gung ho this afternoon. NIC's installed

and
working correctly, cross over cat 5 cable connected.

Now, Win98 on one pc and WinME on the other. Is there a handy site to run
down the basic settings? I've got visible shared folders (ie their own) on
each PC, but not visible across the network.
What protocols etc do I need enabled. The wizard looks like it should be
helping but doesn't actually....

Just a pointer to some info please, then I'll check it all
systematically...

Les

http://www.homenethelp.com/ got me connected in your situation. Installing
NetBEUI protocol & making sure you have the same protocols installed on both
machines may get you some results.

Old August 20th 03, 11:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Les & Claire

Thanks for the help... got them file sharing now. But looks like ICS isn't
available in Win98, will upgrade to WinME on the second pc. At the moment, I
can not seem to get ICS working even with Wingate... back to the helpfiles!

Thanks again...

Les

Old August 21st 03, 12:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Real nwsy

ICS is available in win98SE upwards. If you have Win98 Original, like me,
you should upgrade.

Details for installing ICS under win98SE:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_98

Old August 21st 03, 02:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Real nwsy

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...
Thanks for the help... got them file sharing now. But looks like

ICS
isn't
available in Win98, will upgrade to WinME on the second pc. At the

moment, I
can not seem to get ICS working even with Wingate... back to the

helpfiles!

Something like WinGate or WinRoute is probably a better solution than
Windows ICS anyway, as it gives you a reasonable integrated firewall
which is a "good thing".

Never needed anything but ZoneAlarm in the four years I've been on
Broadband. I know people despise it, particularly the free version, but

love it. Coupled with PC Cillin that came free with my mobo, I've not

had a
cause for complaint.

ZA has apparently caused problems for some people in some situations -
personally I didn't like the dumbed-down interface and lack of explicit
configuration options, but I've not used it for a long time so maybe
they've improved it?

Nope, no improvement on the interface front. There are a few more options,
but nothing amazing. I admit I'm an amateur when it comes to Firewalls and
quite possibly the two you mention would be perfect for someone more
knowledgable. ZA runs virtually invisibly on my system and offers all the
protection I ask of it, so my novice needs are met.

I did actually cancel my previous post when I realised I don't really have
enough knowledge to get into a debate on firewalls!

Old August 21st 03, 07:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Real nwsy

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Discussion, not debate :-) If your choice works for you, and you're
happy with it, then there's no reason to change - it's just that there
are some excellent solutions available at low or no cost that people
don't seem to be generally aware of, and some of the stuff that you hear
about all the time seems to either cost quite a lot, not work very well
or cause other problems (not mentioning anything by Microsoft, Norton or
Zone Labs of course :-) Apparently PC-cillin is rather better than it
used to be.

It is actually. For a free v-checker it's remarkably robust, again running
unnoticed. It's thanks to PCC that I'm Klez & SoBig-free.

Old August 22nd 03, 10:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Les & Claire

Very happy with the Sophos and ZoneAlarm solution. Every time I've been to
one of those "How Stealthy is your PC" test sites it's turned out to be
invisible. It's enough for me!

Les

--
Top Posting© Since 1997

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

"Real nwsy" wrote in message

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,