Secure Site accessing problem.

Old August 21st 03, 10:44 AM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Secure Site accessing problem.

I've got a small home network with a Linux server (Mandrake V9) as my
connection to the internet and from this I am running a WindowsME via wire,
WindowsXP laptop via WiFi and recently bought a handheld with pocketpc2003
and WiFi card.

I have a problem with my Handheld - now I appreciate it is MS (Couldn't find
a reasonably priced Linux version in UK) and a handheld so I am not
expecting too much from it but I can access normal URLs fine.

I have a problem accessing certain https sites, the problem is sometimes
they appear and sometimes the window just hangs.

Not understanding firewalls too well I am wondering if it is something to do
with my settings; I was advised to change my current set up to DROP all
then allow certain conditions but at the moment I have the following;

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FORWARDED PACKETS
I've got DROP if input interface is ppp0 and state of connection is
NEW
As above but state of connection is invalid.

INCOMING PACKETS
I've got DROP if input interface is ppp0 and state of connection is
NEW
As above but state of connection is invalid.

No Output rules.
No Postrouting rules.

And I've got masquerading on POSTROUTING.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any suggestions, could it be my set up or is it just eratic MS?
--
Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club