Advise - Change to wired/wireless home network

Old August 22nd 03, 01:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Allan

Default Advise - Change to wired/wireless home network

I currently have NTL cable modem connected by USB to 1st PC and a crossover
cable from 1st to 2nd PC NIC's
Both PC's are XP and file / internet sharing is working fine.
I have just bought a Linksys wireless router with 4 ports, my intention is
:-
Cable -- ethernet -- router -- ethernet -- 1st PC
router -- wifi -- 2nd PC
In the future I would also like to add (wifi) an old laptop running 98SE
Can anyone advise of any problems (and solutions) I might encounter?
Thanks ....... Allan

Old August 22nd 03, 01:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Allan" wrote in
:

I currently have NTL cable modem connected by USB to 1st PC and
a crossover cable from 1st to 2nd PC NIC's
Both PC's are XP and file / internet sharing is working fine.
I have just bought a Linksys wireless router with 4 ports, my
intention is
:-
Cable -- ethernet -- router -- ethernet -- 1st PC
router -- wifi -- 2nd PC
In the future I would also like to add (wifi) an old laptop
running 98SE Can anyone advise of any problems (and solutions) I
might encounter? Thanks ....... Allan

Not problems, some reminders:

1) Check your UTP cable needs.
Cable - router is probably cross-over, but check it out.
Router - PC1 is definitely standard patch cable

2) Secure your Internet connection.
Lock down the router and tweak its firewall settings to your needs.

3) Secure your WiFi network.
Non-default SSID, MAC filtering, 128-bit WEP encryption etc

--
BRG
===