Network Range

Old August 22nd 03, 04:28 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.pocketpc,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Network Range

I've got a Dell AXIM, PPC2003 OS with supplied 11 mbs wireless card.

After some initial teething problems I have managed a reliable connection.

I am now wondering about the efficiency of the Dell badged wireless card.

I've got a Netgear 54 mbs Access Point and to get a decent connection with
my Handheld I need to change the transmit speed down to 11 mbs. I was
getting about 40% losses from PING messages whereas at 11 mbs it is fine.

Now I find that if I walk more than about 30 feet away from my AP I lose the
signal - this is not much better than bluetooth.

My daughter's laptop reports an 80% signal on her PC card at the top of out
garden about 60 feet away.

I have tried different channels with limited success, am I expecting too
much or should the range be more than 30 feet.

I appreciate walls have an effect but I am able to compare it with my
daughter's laptop.

--
Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club