Speedtouch 510 v4 Vs Draytek Vigor 2600 (firewall)

Old August 22nd 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default Speedtouch 510 v4 Vs Draytek Vigor 2600 (firewall)

I am considering purchasing one of these two routers. I wondered whether the
2600 was worth the extra cost (rougly £40) just for the extra firewall
features.... I'm hoping for an in one box solution which will rid my system
of the need for a firewall.

The 2600 appears to have better support than the 510 v4 in terms of F/W
updates and the forum etc, although any questions I posted at Draytek's
forums asking whether people were happy resulted in my post being pulled
along with the account. Weird as this implies to me the 2600 is either crap
or they don't want to sell it...

Any opinions on either of the two would be greatly appreciated. I feel I
haven't seen enough information about either of the two. I understand that
the 510 v4 needs firewall rules to be input at the CLI (or hand typed into
the config files) but that Thompson supposedly intend to alter this in the
future with a f/w update (which apparently is long overdue). I'm also aware
that the 2600 has a web interface for the firewall and also has SPI to block
packets which don't meet certain specs an also DDos/DoS protection (which I
guess really isn't needed for a home ADSL user.)

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the only solution is a s/w
firewall and that a h/w firewall can't really replace a s/w one...

Any thoughts would be helpful...

TIA

tHatDudeUK

Old August 22nd 03, 11:02 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

tHatDudeUK wrote:
[...]

I can't give you any information about the kit but you are in error
about your thinking about protection from DDOS & DOS attacks as these
can & are experienced byt private individuals as well as businesses,
all you need to do is upset a script kiddy & away they go trying to
prove their masculinity/experience/knowledge or whatever by anymeans
they know how & DOS is just one of them.

Yes it has happened to me, they tried to mailbomb me as well, morphing
from account to account, still managed to get the account killed, only
problem is that it looks like he's back & sending HTML coded emails
with some type of payload encoded in them. Never mind if he's
concentrationg on me he's leaving everybody else alone & it helps keep
me on my toes.

You can never have to much security...

By the way I run a Netgear R0318 security router & have software
firewalls on all machines (just to control the out going)...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 22nd 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark&Lisa

Kraftee wrote:
tHatDudeUK wrote:

[...]

youre just being paranoid about the sobig virus

Old August 22nd 03, 11:56 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Mark&Lisa wrote:
Kraftee wrote:
tHatDudeUK wrote:

[...]

But it's not paranoia if it's actually happened or is happening, I've
got the logs & the emails sent to BTOpenworld (well it just had to be
that ISP, didn't it)...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 23rd 03, 12:46 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Kraftee" wrote in message
But it's not paranoia if it's actually happened or is happening, I've
got the logs & the emails sent to BTOpenworld (well it just had to be
that ISP, didn't it)...

Lol, yep, sorry to say I think you wasted ur time... :-S

Old August 25th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Patrick Navin

Tonybro wrote:
Hi,

I have been using the Vigor 2200USB with my Alcatel Speedtouch for
nearly two years and not a sniff of a problem! Use the hardware
firewall mainly to block incoming and s/w firewalls to check on
anything suspicious from e-mails.

Can't recommend the 2200 highly enough...

I would have agreed until my 18 month old 2200 USB fried itself last
week :-(. It's being sorted under warranty but in the meantime I've had
to replace it so went with a D-link 604+ "All in one" router/modem/WAP.
Throughput is considerably improved over the old 2200USB/Alcatel frog combo

Patrick

Old August 25th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Patrick Navin

Roderick Stewart wrote:

In article , Tonybro wrote:

I have been using the Vigor 2200USB with my Alcatel Speedtouch for
nearly two years and not a sniff of a problem! Use the hardware
firewall mainly to block incoming and s/w firewalls to check on
anything suspicious from e-mails.

Can't recommend the 2200 highly enough...

That's good to hear. I got one of these for 20 quid at a computer fair
on Saturday. I don't think the bloke selling it can have realised what
it was.

Ironically, I've only recently bought a 2600 at full price (120+VAT),
but the 2200 was impossible to resist, so maybe my daughter can have it
when she gets broadband, and if not it was probably worth the price
just for a spare power supply - yes, it was included.

So I'll need a USB modem to go with it. What research I've done so far
suggests that I can't just use any USB modem. It has to be one of a
select list. Can you shed any light on this? Or has anybody got a frog
they don't want at a silly price?

Rod.

I have a frog going for £20 inc P&P

Patrick

Old August 25th 03, 11:13 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Patrick Navin" wrote in message
I would have agreed until my 18 month old 2200 USB fried itself last
week :-(. It's being sorted under warranty but in the meantime I've had
to replace it so went with a D-link 604+ "All in one" router/modem/WAP.
Throughput is considerably improved over the old 2200USB/Alcatel frog

combo

Does the 2200USB not have a proper ADSL modem integrated then? I'd have
thought it would. DOes the 2600 have an integrated ADSL modem? I don't want
to make that silly mistake :-)

Old August 26th 03, 01:04 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , THatDudeUK wrote:
Does the 2200USB not have a proper ADSL modem integrated then? I'd have
thought it would. DOes the 2600 have an integrated ADSL modem? I don't want
to make that silly mistake :-)

The 2200USB is specifically designed to add the full functionality of a
router, firewall and ethernet switched hub to a USB modem. Some all-in-one
starter accounts with ISPs include a "free" modem which is usually a USB
type, the famous frog apparently being one of the most popular. If you've
already got one of these and don't want to throw it away you can simply add a
2200USB and end up with a full LAN system. Or so I hope.

The 2600 is more or less the same as a 2200USB, plus an ADSL modem, all in
the same box.

Rod.