blocking instant messenger users help please

Old August 24th 03, 01:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
jaimin

Default blocking instant messenger users help please

Hi Steve

an use software which we've made, it's called Browse Control. It does
work on the client side. Basically allows you to send a list of
Applications which you wish to Block e.g. KazAa, MSN to the client.
It actually looks at the internal windows name of the application
which the user is trying to run..so even if they rename it they cannot
cheat the system. You can download it from:
http://www.codework.com/bcontrol/features.htm

Hope that helps!
Divyesh

I have a pc and a laptop which I have networked, due to the fact I use AOL I
have to use analog proxy to be able to share my internet connection with my
daughter on the laptop.

She uses msn instant messenger a lot, and I'm not happy with some of the people
she has been talking with, I have blocked them on her laptop, but I found she
was just unblocking them.

What I would like to do is have some way of blocking from my pc, is this
possible ? maybe via a firewall or something similar. Any suggestions welcome.
Other than turn of analog proxy all together.

Both pc's are running windows xp.

Many thanks

Steve

Old August 24th 03, 04:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J

In om inside of
uk.comp.home-networking, 'jaimin' wrote:

Hi Steve

an use software which we've made, it's called Browse Control. It does
work on the client side. Basically allows you to send a list of
Applications which you wish to Block e.g. KazAa, MSN to the client.
It actually looks at the internal windows name of the application
which the user is trying to run..so even if they rename it they cannot
cheat the system. You can download it from:
http://www.codework.com/bcontrol/features.htm

Hex editor applied to the executable would fix the problem with most
applications.

It's only security by obscurity, hence the system's love of the
obscurity.

--
Dave Johnson -