Internet Connection Sharing: "Generic Host Process... has encountered a problem and needs to close..." error when client connects

Old August 24th 03, 01:43 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

Default Internet Connection Sharing: "Generic Host Process... has encountered a problem and needs to close..." error when client connects

Problem: Soon after a client computer attempts to connect to the Internet
via my Internet-Connection-Sharing host, the host throws up a dialogue box
"Generic Host Process for Win32 .. has encountered a problem and needs to
close" (or something very similar). Neither client nor (usually?) host can
subsequently connect to the Internet; the connection is shown as "Connected"
in the Network Connections view, but I can't make it disconnect without
rebooting. Sometimes the client can connect for a while, before the
failure. If the broadband connection isn't running, it appears that the
client spontaneously connects to the Internet, as a "Connect?" dialogue
appears on the host. "Generic Host Process..." turns out to be svchost
running one or more dlls.

Nothing relevant can be recognised in the event log. Lengthy searches of
TechNet CDs, google.com/microsoft and support.microsoft.com have drawn a
blank. So did a detailed comparison of process listings before and after.
Any ideas?

Configuration:

Host: Windows XP Professional (SP1) patched-up-to-date, connecting to
BTOpenworld Broadband via USB ("squashed" frog modem). Ethernet connection
to client via crossover cable. TCP/IP is the only protocol installed.
Firewall: ZoneAlarm Pro (configured for ICS). Switching ICS to another
(dial-up) connection also brought up the failure dialogue. IP: 192.168.0.1

Client: Windows 95 (blush), firewall ZoneAlarm (free). Printing and
file-sharing works ok. IPX and NETBEUI also installed. File and Printer
Sharing and Windows Client installed. Obtains IP address from host.

Grateful for any ideas!

--
######################
## PH, London ##

Old August 24th 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:43:49 +0000 (UTC), "Philip Herlihy"
wrote:

snipped
BTW Philip, nice post
Problem:
"Generic Host Process for Win32 .. has encountered a problem and needs to
close" (or something very similar). Neither client nor (usually?) host can
subsequently connect to the Internet;

Nothing relevant can be recognised in the event log.
Configuration:

Host: Windows XP Professional (SP1) patched-up-to-date, connecting to
BTOpenworld Broadband via USB ("squashed" frog modem). Ethernet connection
to client via crossover cable. TCP/IP is the only protocol installed.
Firewall: ZoneAlarm Pro (configured for ICS). Switching ICS to another
(dial-up) connection also brought up the failure dialogue. IP: 192.168.0.1

Client: Windows 95 (blush), firewall ZoneAlarm (free). Printing and
file-sharing works ok. IPX and NETBEUI also installed. File and Printer
Sharing and Windows Client installed. Obtains IP address from host.

This all looks to be as it should be.

Grateful for any ideas!

What motherboard does the XP machine use? (Some motherboards have
problems with the USB ports, and won't run with the speedtouch frog
modem)

Has the problem started recently?

Are you using the latest drivers for the speedtouch frog?

They should be available at http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/

(I say should because the site seems to be having some problems at the
moment)

Derek
--
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - M Gandhi
Old August 24th 03, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

Thanks for the reply. The host is a recent Dell laptop, and I've been using
the modem for 3 months without problems. I've updated the drivers within
the last 2 months. (I'll look again, though).

I had no problems with the same model laptop running Windows 2000. Can't
persuade the Missus to upgrade... (sigh)...

--
######################
## PH, London ##

Old August 24th 03, 06:41 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

I do have the latest Alcatel driver (201).

--
######################
## PH, London ##

Old August 25th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Herlihy

I don't think that's it. The host machine is patched with everything
Microsoft offer for my machine, I have a firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) and I've
scanned my entire machine (and the client, as a mounted drive) with the
latest Norton antivirus files. No problems if the client isn't connected,
either. Port 135 is blocked, and intrusions regularly show up (blocked) in
the firewall log. Stumped!

--
######################
## PH, London ##

"Derek" wrote in message Ok, in that case I'd
suggest that you download and manually install
the patch for the Blaster worm (MS03-026), since the symptoms you're
describing with the "Generic Host Process for Win32" are a shoe-in for
a system being hit by probes for the vulnerability, or possibly an
undetected infection.

A description of the worm can be found at:

The patch for Windows XP is at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...406c-c5b6-44ac
-9532-3de40f69c074&displaylang=en

I'd also suggest that you block port 135 for *all* traffic, and
download a stand-alone utility to remove the specific virus, such as
McAfee/NAI Stinger, which can be found at:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

I had no problems with the same model laptop running Windows 2000. Can't
persuade the Missus to upgrade... (sigh)...

You can shut all of the eye-candy down on XP, and then, after a
suitable period, substitute W2K; I'm sure she won't notice ;-)

Derek
--
'It's called a "contract" because that's what the typeface does towards
the bottom.' - James "Kibo" Parry

Old August 25th 03, 12:59 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:19:17 +0100, "Real nwsy"
wrote:

OK is anyone else keeping count of how many fully updated XP machines are
reporting ICS connectivity loss of some kind? I'm up to three in the last
week on this NG.

There are two recent updates that play with the networking and remote
access side of XP.

817778 (Overview of the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP),
which alters both the TCP/IP stack and the XP built-in firewall.

823980 (MS03-026: Buffer Overrun in RPC May Allow Code Execution),
which patches the RPC service.

I'm starting to wonder if one of them breaks ZoneAlarm.

Derek
--
"Things can happen to browsers in magical libraries that can make having
your face pulled off by tentacled monstrosities from the
Old August 25th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:03:44 +0000 (UTC), "Philip Herlihy"
wrote:

I don't think that's it. The host machine is patched with everything
Microsoft offer for my machine, I have a firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) and I've
scanned my entire machine (and the client, as a mounted drive) with the
latest Norton antivirus files. No problems if the client isn't connected,
either. Port 135 is blocked, and intrusions regularly show up (blocked) in
the firewall log. Stumped!

Humour me for a while, Phillip.

1) Goto Start-run.
type, including the quotes: tasklist "my documents\tasks.txt"
then click OK.

2) Goto Start-run
type, including the quotes: tasklist /SVC "my documents\tasks.txt"
then click OK.

(This will create a small file in My documents, called tasks.txt,
which lists the running programs and services on your machine.)

4) Post the contents of the file "my documents\tasks.txt" here, by
cutting and pasting the file contents to a post. (Some news servers
won't allow you to post attachments to these groups)

Derek
--
Imagine a stegosaurus wearing rocket powered roller skates, &
you'll get a fair idea of it's elegance, stability & ease of crash recovery.
Old August 25th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
Real nwsy

There are two recent updates that play with the networking and remote
access side of XP.

817778 (Overview of the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP),
which alters both the TCP/IP stack and the XP built-in firewall.

823980 (MS03-026: Buffer Overrun in RPC May Allow Code Execution),
which patches the RPC service.

I'm starting to wonder if one of them breaks ZoneAlarm.

Now why wouldn't that surprise me in the slightest.

If you google that 6 digit number I bet you'll see a few comments on sites
like annoyances.com or whatever it is.

Old August 26th 03, 12:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:06:37 +0100, "Real nwsy"
wrote:

crosspost trimmed
There are two recent updates that play with the networking and remote
access side of XP.

817778 (Overview of the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP),
which alters both the TCP/IP stack and the XP built-in firewall.

823980 (MS03-026: Buffer Overrun in RPC May Allow Code Execution),
which patches the RPC service.

I'm starting to wonder if one of them breaks ZoneAlarm.

Now why wouldn't that surprise me in the slightest.

Because you're old, cynicial, and far too familar with Microsoft
needing two attempts to get their patches right?

If you google that 6 digit number I bet you'll see a few comments on sites
like annoyances.com or whatever it is.

Actually, there is very little that mentions these.

Most of the sudden ICS/ICF failures I've seen can be backtracked to
"things" altering the TCP/IP stack; "things" in this context mostly
meaning adware, spyware, or browser tool bars, which hook into the
stack to do their misbegotten tasks, and have a habit of downloading
new, *improved*[1] components invisibly to the user.

All of which is why I'm interested in seeing the task and service
lists for machines suffering from this problem.

I've also seen people install out-of-date firewalls and cause
themselves all kinds of interesting troubles.

[1] Kaaza being a noticable offender in this respect.

Derek
--
"Share and Enjoy" - Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"Embrace and Extend" - Microsoft Corporation
Old August 28th 03, 08:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:02:27 +0000 (UTC), "Philip Herlihy"
wrote:

You may want to have prevent these from running and see if that cures
the problem. Msconfig should allow you to stop them from being run
temporarily.

snmp.exe 584 Console 0 3,708 K

snmp.exe: I can't think of any reason why this should be running on
your machine.

wanmpsvc.exe 1092 Console 0 2,420 K

wanmpsvc.exe: I've usually seen this a part of the AOL softwa
it's known to be a little troublesome.

wdService.exe 1912 Console 0 5,224 K

DSentry.exe 2908 Console 0 2,344 K

DSentry.exe: Allegedly, this is a variety of anti-spyware installed
on some Dell machines: I've not heard of it causing problems, but
since the problem is network access related, you might try turning it
off for a while.

From the tasklist, I'm assuming that you're allowing Windows Update to
automatically update your machine; Have you checked in the windows
update installation history to see that the updates have installed
correctly?

If nothing shows up there, I'd suggest that you uninstall ZA and see
if that removes the problem. The windows ICF will offer you
sufficient protection for purposes of testing this.

Hope this helps.

Derek
--
WHY MARINES ARE GRUMPY AND IRRITABLE - REASON #253 :

They never know if that weird chick coming on to 'em in the
bar is their superior officer or not.