This is driving me mad!!! (rather long)

Old August 25th 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

Default This is driving me mad!!! (rather long)

NTL BB--USB--XPPro--Eth--Eth--W98--PP--Printer

Have network set up as above, but it's driving me mad. ICS was working 100%
hunky dory up until a month ago, but "something happened" and I can't for
the life of me figure out what. Maybe some update or another that screwed
it?

Anyway, both computers are assigning 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP addresses. I have to
"manually assign" 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 to have filesharing work. But
ICS doesn't work with manually assigned IP addresses.

I have determined the problem is on the XP box. Trying to "repair" the
connection in network connections gives me an error "Error repairing
connection, could not renew IP address, please contact your network
administrator" Well, that's me, and I haven't got a clue!! Also in "Computer
management" I am unable to stop and restart the ICS/Firewall option. It just
displays as "stopping" Sometimes I am unable to re-share the NTL connection
just after I unshared it, ("Unable to accept control messages at this
time"), but sometimes I can.

On the W98 box, Start, Run, winipcfg gives me details about the ethernet
card.
"Release" does nothing. "Renew" does nothing for a while, then I get a
message "Error, could not find DHCP server."

So, I'm stuck. I'm waiting for XP SP2 to be released before I re-install,
but even then, I don't know what's causing this, and it may re-occur.

Any ideas at all?

Marcus

Old August 25th 03, 10:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BRG

"Marcus Fox"
wrote in :

[...]

Suggest you view the dependencies tab for ICS/ICF in Services
Management, then check each of those services is healthy.

--
BRG
===
Old August 26th 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

BRG wrote:

"Marcus Fox"
wrote in :

[...]

snip

Have you tried manually assigning the gateway in the machines to whatever IP address
you have as your gateway host? (for example if your gateway machine has the IP
address 192.168.0.1 then you'd need to set the gateway on the other machines to that
address. If you're using a router then that will presumably have an IP address too,
so you'd manually set the gateway to that address).

Also you could try manually assigning the DNS server addresses to whatever you're ISP
uses.

I'm no expert, so I hope this helps.

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old August 27th 03, 01:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
BRG wrote:

"Marcus Fox"

[...]