Whats the difference?

Old August 26th 03, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fatman Fred

Default Whats the difference?

It's all too confusing!

So I'm looking into WiFi and I think that I need an Access Point for my
Desktop and a PCMCIA card for my laptop. Then I find out that I don't need
an access point for my desktop as its not connected to a wired network and
I'm only ever going to have 2 PC's.

So I am now thinking of buying the Netgear WG311 PCI card for my desktop.

In the Netgear range though I couldn't find a PCMCIA card that supported
802.11g (54MBPS) but found the Netgear WG511 card. This card is a 'cardbus'
card.

What is cardbus? I don't think I have ever heard of it before.

Can I put it in a PCMCIA slot?

I don't yet have my laptop yet. It's my new office one and I havent had much
say in the spec. What I can tell you is that it is a Dell Latitude C640. It
has 2x Type I & Type II PCMCIA Slots or 1x Type III and has support for
Cardbus.

Thats the thing that confuses me. "Support for Cardbus" what does that mean?
Do I need to buy an adaptor.

Sorry if this all sounds pretty basic to you guys but I would rather not
fork out 100 on something that doesnt work!

Old August 27th 03, 12:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Jennings

"Fatman Fred" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Cardbus is just a version of the PCMCIA interface (32-bit I believe,
compared with the original PCMCIA being 16-bit).

If your new laptop has "Support for Cardbus" you are fine to go with the
WG511 card.

Good luck!