Using BT Sockets for Wired Network

Old August 27th 03, 10:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan W

Default Using BT Sockets for Wired Network

I am considering a home network as part of an upgrade to Broadband. I wish
to connect Pc's in different rooms. One option seems to be the BT
homenetwork system which uses BT phone network and BTjack sockets already
installed in the rooms instead of installing separate Cat5 with RJ45
sockets. (see
http://www.bt.com/homenetworking/ind...K&obsOID=49260

I have been trying to source the modem/router etc separately from BT as they
seem expensive, I am not sure I need all the bits they are providing and I
would like to build in some upgradability

My problem arises in that although there is a lot of components available
none of the info available refers to use of the BT sockets. Specific
questions in my own mind a

1) Modem/Routers usually come with RJ11 socket (for broadband WAN connection
with BT) and one or more RJ45 for the LAN. Can the RJ11 be used as part of
the LAN as standard or is it only the BT one which does this? Also does this
have security implications (firewall etc?)
2) The second (and third etc) PC's in the BT system have a USB PC adaptor
(40) between BT jack and USB port. Can I not just install RJ11 to RJ45
cable (2.50) between microfilter and PC Ethernet port.

Any advice or experience greatly appreciated.

Alan W