bt router -anyone know the settings?

Old August 27th 03, 03:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
André Franke

Default bt router -anyone know the settings?

"Robin Goodfellow" wrote:

A friend of mine is on BT ADSL, his brother got a 2nd hand BT router from a
friend but they have no idea of the ip address for the admin so at the
moment they are just using it as a switch. I was wondering if anyone would
know the default settings for their router, I think it is called Black Box
but I am not too sure. I am going down to try and set it up for him and I
was hoping that there would be a hard reset button and that I could set it
up from scratch for him.

First of all, I don't know the device.
But are on the lucky side if the router acts as a DHCP. By examining
the dynamically assigned IP of a host connected to the router you cann
tell the adress range.
If the host has just a 192.168.x.2 the router is likely to be at
192.168.x.1
My second choice would be 192.168.x.254 since that is another default
setting often used.

good luck
regards
André
Old August 27th 03, 06:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Parry

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:53:32 +0200, André Franke
wrote:

But are on the lucky side if the router acts as a DHCP.

It is actually a very good router - NAT, DHCP, Firewall all built in
amongst much more.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old August 27th 03, 07:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
André Franke

wrote:

But are on the lucky side if the router acts as a DHCP.

It is actually a very good router - NAT, DHCP, Firewall all built in
amongst much more.

I wanted to say, that the IP of the router may be easier to guess if
it is configured to act as a DHCP. If you know the subnet you have
much less numbers to try. Every SOHO router has these features today.

regards
André
Old August 27th 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Gabriel

wrote:

But are on the lucky side if the router acts as a DHCP.

It is actually a very good router - NAT, DHCP, Firewall all built in
amongst much more.

Its weak spot is it's PSU, which easily dies if the unit gets
hot - a number of colleagues have had BT supplied ones fail this
way. I would suggest wall mounting it using the screw mounting
slots in the base, so it gets well ventilated by convection.

--
Andrew Gabriel