Remote Shutdown

Old August 27th 03, 06:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Default Remote Shutdown

In article ,
says...
hi
My setup is a desktop and a laptop connected by a router.

My question is, can I shut one down remotely from the other.

I.E. When I have finised with one, type a command that with shut down the
other computer.

What operating systems are you using?
For Win9x you could try RemoteShut:
http://www.ykwong.com/rs.html - this
is very small and simple - no installation required. Or how about
http://www.webattack.com/get/shutitup.shtml

For the NT family use "shutdown" (from the Resource Kit with NT and 2K,
included in the XP installation) or try PsShutdown:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...shutdown.shtml

Old August 28th 03, 08:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gary Sinnott

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:51:40 +0000 (UTC), Gary Sinnott
wrote:

Scuse please - **** mode was firmly on... I've been writing VBscript
for the past coupla days and completely forgot - this was simply a
batch file jobby. So, where I say VBscript further down, replace with
..Bat file. I think the clue may have been in the Type listing in the
window where it said "MS-DOS Batch File"... doh!!!!!

Gary

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:47:43 GMT, "The Plebism"
wrote:

What operating systems are you using?

Can't believe I missed out such an important bit of information hehe

For Win9x you could try RemoteShut: http://www.ykwong.com/rs.html - this
is very small and simple - no installation required. Or how about
http://www.webattack.com/get/shutitup.shtml

For the NT family use "shutdown" (from the Resource Kit with NT and 2K,
included in the XP installation) or try PsShutdown:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...shutdown.shtml

Thanks

I'll try the later :-)

The Plebism

U could always try a small VBscript - I've been using one here for the
home network (5 machines) in case a storm comes in and kills them
first. Really oughta buy UPSs but I haven't won the lottery yet and
this was much cheaper

Code is (I've taken out my network machine names) ...

@ECHO OFF
ECHO.
ECHO Shutting down the [name] network
ECHO.
ECHO Reason: STORM WARNING
ECHO Delay : 15 seconds
ECHO Files : Force closure
ECHO.
ECHO
ECHO.
ECHO Attempting to shutdown [name]...
shutdown -s -f -m \\[computer name or IP] -t 15 -c "Storm alert" nul
ECHO.
ECHO Attempting to shutdown [name]...
shutdown -s -f -m \\[computer name or IP] -t 15 -c "Storm alert" nul
ECHO.

...etc...

ECHO
ECHO.
ECHO All systems on the network have been requested to shut down
ECHO.
ECHO
ECHO.
WAIT 10

The bit that does the hard work is the "shutdown" command - running it
w/out params will give you the info on what it does and what syntax is
required. Running it from a DOS window with the -i arg is quite
interesting.

FYI, this one dumps a dialogue on the screen of each PC in the list
and closes any open files before doing the deed - better than a BRS
in the middle of that big spreadhseet (quite polite . You may lose
your current point in any game though (I don't think it's *that*
polite

Works under XP Pro/2K but I've not tested it on 9X - and XP Home
(shudder) kinda ignores it but as the one PC with that is a notebook -
which is more or less UPSd by it's battery, I'm not in any hurry to
fix that. Probably just permissions I need to set but my next step is
to put Pro on it anyway.

There's also a cancel command (hence the 15 second delay in killing
each machine, which also allows the script time to tell every machine
to switch off) ...

@ECHO OFF
ECHO.
ECHO Aborting shutdown of [name] network
ECHO.
ECHO
ECHO.
ECHO Aborting shutdown of [name]...
shutdown -a -m \\[computer name or IP] nul
ECHO.
ECHO Aborting shutdown of [name]...
shutdown -a -m \\[computer name or IP] nul
ECHO.

...etc...

ECHO
ECHO.
ECHO Shutdown sequence aborted
ECHO.
ECHO
ECHO.
WAIT 10

NB: If you're going to use the first script, make sure you have the
second one working first - it's no fun testing the shutdown script and
then having to go round restarting each PC because there wasn't an
easy way of aborting the test run. Shame I did it twice, heh-heh.

Cheers,

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com