Problem trying to set up ICS -- help appreciated.

Old August 28th 03, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

Default Problem trying to set up ICS -- help appreciated.

I have just set up a peer to peer wireless network between a laptop
and a desktop, both running XP Home.

The desktop has internet access via NTL set top box and a second NIC.

The desktop can access the internet without problems but i can't get
any response from the laptop.

The actual wireless network functions okay, ping from each PC to the
other and shared folders and printer access is okay.

I have run the Network setup wizard on both machines, the host first
and then the laptop and get no error messages.

I have set up many networks in the past but have always done
everything manually including shared internet access using both
software and hardware routers but this one has me baffled. I've never
tried using ICS in Windows before.

I assume I am missing something very simple.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Martin

Old August 29th 03, 01:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Martin" wrote in message
I have just set up a peer to peer wireless network between a laptop
and a desktop, both running XP Home.

The desktop has internet access via NTL set top box and a second NIC.

The desktop can access the internet without problems but i can't get
any response from the laptop.

The actual wireless network functions okay, ping from each PC to the
other and shared folders and printer access is okay.

I have run the Network setup wizard on both machines, the host first
and then the laptop and get no error messages.

I have set up many networks in the past but have always done
everything manually including shared internet access using both
software and hardware routers but this one has me baffled. I've never
tried using ICS in Windows before.

I assume I am missing something very simple.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Martin

Look at this group. A lot of people including myself have this problem, and
it's been driving me mad for a month. No help from the microsoft networking
groups either. I suspect it's some kind of bug in the windows update. Sorry
to sound pessimistic, but I've tried everything, and given up. I've decided
to get a router to run the network instead.

Marcus

Old August 30th 03, 05:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

I had problems with ICS, I gave up in the end and installed analogx's proxy
server, it works well.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm
Also works well with Sygate personal firewall
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

John.

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...

Old August 31st 03, 08:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Shel Greene

In article , says...
I had problems with ICS, I gave up in the end and installed analogx's proxy
server, it works well.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm
Also works well with Sygate personal firewall
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

John.

That's a great tip, John. Thanks. I too have been tearing my
hair out since I got an ADSL line last week, trying to share an
internet connection between 2 computers using ICS. I had
analogx up and running in a few hours. The big problem for me
was Zonealarm - in the end I had to turn it off on both
computers - get analogx working - and then slowly bring
Zonealarm back.

Old September 1st 03, 03:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Marcus Fox

"Mike McConnell" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message ...

I had problems with ICS, I gave up in the end and installed analogx's

proxy
server, it works well.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

I've just downloaded this and had a play about with it. I've got it

working
fine with Internet Explorer, my FTP client and Outlook Express for
newsgroups (I don't use Outlook Express for email)

However, I cannot for the life of me get it to work for email with either
Mailwasher or Eudora. The Analogx log file shows it has accepted a POP3
connection from the 'client' PC, the servers in the email programs are set
to the IP address of the 'server' PC, the SMTP, POP3 and email addresses

are
all properly entered in the Analogx email configuration box. There isn't
much else to configure, unless I'm missing something very obvious???

Any ideas? Thanks.

"Server" PC is XP Pro, "client" PC is XP Home, Zone Alarm running on both
and using a 56k dialup connection to the internet.

I had same problem with XP ICS. Tried the proxy, but as above, mail not
working.

Marcus