802.11g USB devices?

Old August 28th 03, 12:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Patrick Navin

Default 802.11g USB devices?

[email protected] wrote:

Does anyone know of any planned 802.11g devices which can be attached
via USB? I have a 11b unit at the moment but I'd like to upgrade it and
because of the configuration of the machine I can only use a USB device.
I've googled and can't find any :/

Thanks,

Lee.

Hmm usb 1.1 is 12mbps max throughput, 802.11g is 54mbps max throughput.
I can't see a lot of point to a usb 802.11g device unless it's USB2 or
cardbus/pci

Patrick

Old August 29th 03, 11:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Patrick Navin wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Does anyone know of any planned 802.11g devices which can be attached
via USB? I have a 11b unit at the moment but I'd like to upgrade it
and because of the configuration of the machine I can only use a USB
device. I've googled and can't find any :/

Hmm usb 1.1 is 12mbps max throughput, 802.11g is 54mbps max throughput.
I can't see a lot of point to a usb 802.11g device unless it's USB2 or
cardbus/pci

Yes, that's right. Well done. The fact that you won't ever see true
54Mb/s with 11g (and never get 11Mb/s with 11b) is the reason why I
thought it pointless to mention the limitations of USB myself. I take
you don't know of one, then?

Lee.
--
Editor, DVD Debate
http://www.dvddebate.com

Upset motorists: remember, motorways offer a hard shoulder to cry on.

Old August 29th 03, 01:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Patrick Navin

[email protected] wrote:

Patrick Navin wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Does anyone know of any planned 802.11g devices which can be attached
via USB? I have a 11b unit at the moment but I'd like to upgrade it
and because of the configuration of the machine I can only use a USB
device. I've googled and can't find any :/

Hmm usb 1.1 is 12mbps max throughput, 802.11g is 54mbps max
throughput. I can't see a lot of point to a usb 802.11g device unless
it's USB2 or cardbus/pci

Yes, that's right. Well done. The fact that you won't ever see true
54Mb/s with 11g (and never get 11Mb/s with 11b) is the reason why I
thought it pointless to mention the limitations of USB myself. I take
you don't know of one, then?

Lee.

Nope - I reckon you might see usb2 versions soon though. 802.11g
actually manages about 24 mbps here at the moment with approximately 6 -
7 mbps with my 802.11b kit.

Patrick