Wireless Networking Woes

Old August 28th 03, 09:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Stennett

Default Wireless Networking Woes

Hey all,
Have been trying to connect two PCs on an ad-hoc network which have
cards from different manufacturers. I've checked that their on the
same frequency and that their both set to ad-hoc, but other than
poking about with the channel numbers on them i have no idea what to
do.
Should SSIDs be the same, or different?
Any help for a complete newbie would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Martin.
Old August 29th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Stennett

We were hoping to share the interne connecion in the end too?

"Kris" wrote in message
news
Martin Stennett writes:
Hey all,
Have been trying to connect two PCs on an ad-hoc network which have
cards from different manufacturers. I've checked that their on the
same frequency and that their both set to ad-hoc, but other than
poking about with the channel numbers on them i have no idea what to
do.
Should SSIDs be the same, or different?
Any help for a complete newbie would be greatly appreciated!

First check that no firewall will be stopping any data.

Set them both to use exactly the same information - same channel, WAP
key, SSID, etc.

Set one of the PC's wireless IP address to 192.168.1.1, the other PC to
192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0. No gateway is needed. I assume that
this is just to share files, not sharing the internet on one of the PCs?

Old August 29th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Stennett

"[email protected]" wrote in message
Martin Stennett wrote:

[accidental top posting and lack of snipping corrected]

Any help for a complete newbie would be greatly appreciated!

First check that no firewall will be stopping any data.

Set them both to use exactly the same information - same channel, WAP
key, SSID, etc.

Set one of the PC's wireless IP address to 192.168.1.1, the other PC to
192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0. No gateway is needed. I assume that
this is just to share files, not sharing the internet on one of the PCs?

We were hoping to share the interne connecion in the end too?

In that case you'll either need a proxy server on the machine that's
connected to the modem or set up ICS.

when you enable ics it says you have to set your ip to 192.168.0.1 and not
192.168.1.1 as mentioned previously, should that matter?