ADSL Modem for a Linksys BEFSR41 Router

Old August 29th 03, 10:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Moore

Default ADSL Modem for a Linksys BEFSR41 Router

So I am still at square one unfortunately . . . . I'm beginning to lose hope
that I will find a suitable modem . . . .

Many thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread.

If anyone out still has some info I would be very grateful.

Andrew

"Darren Grant" -nospam- wrote in message
Andrew Moore wrote:

I recently bought a Linksys BEFSR41 Router and need an Ethernet ADSL

Modem
to connect to it.

I will be running 2 PCs with Win XP and 1 X-box through the setup.

Can anyone advise the best modem?

The best answer is simply replace the Linksys router with an all-in-one
ADSL Modem/Router. Many routers include a 4 port ethernet switch.

As for your summary I would add the following ...

DSL 300G+ is a genuine modem passing public IP address through to the
device connected to the ethernet port. It may or may not work with the
BEFSR41 but it seems likley that it won't.

X-Modem is a genuine modem passing public IP address through to the
device connected to the ethernet port. It has been tested and confirmed
not to work with the BEFSR41 due to an error in the Linksys TCP-IP stack
implementation that does not meet the RFC specs. Linksys seem
uninterested in fixing it.

3Com Home Connect I believe is a genuine modem but AFIK it needs special
software to run on Windows only so not a stand alone modem. Like you say
now an old unsupported model anyway.

Netgear DM602 is not just a modem it can only be used as a single port
NAT router. So it would work but the linksys router would be redundant