Newbie Network Q's

Old August 31st 03, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Me-GT

Default Newbie Network Q's

Hi Group..
It's time to get broadband, and take the opportunity to network my PC in the
spare room with my son's in his bedroom. Mine is a new XP system and his is
an older Winn98se system. I'd like to get them both on one broadband
connection via a ADSL modem and router? Question is, what do I need in
terms of hardware and cables, and what is the wiring pattern? At the
moment, my machine has a network card, but young'uns doesn't. Any one point
me to a wiring diagram I could use as a basis for the little network? Also,
currently with AOL, but want to consider another ISP for the DSL supply. Is
there a lead in time to get connected with ADSL?

AHA

Jinks

Old August 31st 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Me-GT

Well thanks for that reply George - it all becomes clear now! Esp the bit
about the cables...
I shall be going in with the wired option - the only thing I'm not clear
about is the microfilters - there is one socket downstairs, with an
extension to upstairs where the pc's are. Do I need a microfilter there, as
well as where the router/dsl modem is plugged in?

Jinks
"George Hewitt" wrote in message
Okay you will definately want to break away from AOL. Networking and

sharing
AOL through a router is nigh-on impossible.

Depending on where your machines are, you might want to consider a

wireless
setup. If your machines are both on the same floor and relatively close

then
wired network is fine.

Equiment you will need:

ADSL Router (bought by yourself). Usually will come with a 4port switch

and
a port for the phoneline. With this device you will NOT need a seperate

ADSL
modem (make sure it is in the spec of the router). Wireless if you want.

PCI Network cards in both machines (wireless ones for wireless setup).

2x straightthrough (NOT crossover) cables. One to your machine, one to the
other, both originating from router.

Microfilters for ALL used phone sockets in your house to filter out DSL
signals.

That should be all you need! Get a router with DHCP & NAT support and you
barely need to make any changes to the client machines

BR..

-George

Old August 31st 03, 11:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Am I right in that the downstairs socket is plugged into a phone as well?
The best way to do this in that case is to put a microfilter downstairs
before the telephone BUT after the run-off to the extension. Then put a
microfilter in the upstairs extension.

Doing it this way keeps the interference away AND also a low CRC count. If
the downstairs microfilter was before the run-off to the upstairs, then
you'd get low interference but a high CRC error count (not so good). Up/down
speeds might also be affected.

Hope this is clear, post back if not and I'll find you a graphic to make it
clearer.