Strange problem staying online

Old August 31st 03, 01:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Smith

Default Strange problem staying online

Hello,

I have a home network setup and working very well except for one computer.

Current I have 4 computers on a network. Here's the setup.

DSL modem to a Linksys router/wireless access point.

2 desktops wired to the router, 1 running win xp pro, 1 running win2000.
2 laptops wireless to the router, 1 running win xp pro, 1 running win98se.

Both laptops work fine.

My desktop running win2000 works fine.

My desktop running xp pro runs ok.

Here's the weird thing. Everytime I run Outlook Express, it comes up and
says I'm offline and do I want to try again. Everytime I try again, bam, it
works.

About 25% of the time when I'm surfing, a web page won't load and I have to
hit reload or refresh and then, bam, it works.

It's almost like I have to wake up my network card or something before it
starts working and then it works fine for awhile and then it shuts off, then
I have to wake it up again. It's a Dell so the network is on the
motherboard. Or may it be a linksys issue ? But the other 3 computers work
fine.

Is there anyway to test my network card ?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Old August 31st 03, 02:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bigguy

Go to Device Manager/(your network card )/Properties/Power Management and
uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save
power".... should fix it.

Guy

Old August 31st 03, 02:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:58:28 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

Current I have 4 computers on a network. Here's the setup.

DSL modem to a Linksys router/wireless access point.

2 desktops wired to the router, 1 running win xp pro, 1 running win2000.
2 laptops wireless to the router, 1 running win xp pro, 1 running win98se.

My desktop running xp pro runs ok.

Here's the weird thing. Everytime I run Outlook Express, it comes up and
says I'm offline and do I want to try again. Everytime I try again, bam, it
works.

It's almost like I have to wake up my network card or something before it
starts working and then it works fine for awhile and then it shuts off, then
I have to wake it up again. It's a Dell so the network is on the
motherboard. Or may it be a linksys issue ? But the other 3 computers work
fine.

1) Pull down the files menu, and check if work offline is ticked; if
it is, then untick it.

2) Do you have a (telephone) modem in the machine showing the problem?

From Internet Explorer, goto Tools menu - Internet Options -
Connections Tab, and check if there is a Dial up or VPN connection
listed.
If there is, then check "Never dial a connection".

3) make sure that you have the latest drivers for your network card.

4) From Device Manager, Open the properties window for the network
card, and, on the power management tab, make sure that "Allow the
computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked"

Derek
--
"Sort of makes you long for the days when humanity was just one simple
little button push away from nuclear devastation, doesn't it?"

Old September 1st 03, 12:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Smith

Well, I am still having this problem.

Could it be that there is some conflict with the linksys router ?

My laptop doesn't have this problem, just this computer.....

Old September 1st 03, 12:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Smith

"John Smith" wrote in message
link.net...
Well, I am still having this problem.

Could it be that there is some conflict with the linksys router ?

My laptop doesn't have this problem, just this computer.....

Sometimes when I open up a dos window and run ipconfig I get NOTHING. Other
times when I run it, I get the standard list of ip, subs, gateways, etc.

is there a setting somewhere the might be releasing my ip back to the
router ?

Old September 1st 03, 05:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:06:39 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Well, I am still having this problem.

Could it be that there is some conflict with the linksys router ?

My laptop doesn't have this problem, just this computer.....

Sometimes when I open up a dos window and run ipconfig I get NOTHING. Other
times when I run it, I get the standard list of ip, subs, gateways, etc.

is there a setting somewhere the might be releasing my ip back to the
router ?

Well, given your other post, it doesn't appear that that's the problem
- even if the lease is being released, you should still get a "full"
list of parameters, just with the IP address being set to 0.0.0.0 .

One thing that's worked for others in this situation is to set the
network card to half duplex.

BTW what's the computer + nic?

--
While butter may be bad for you in excess, it's very hard to accidentally
kill oneself in the space of a few moments with a dairy product.