WinXP Pro/WinXP Home Problem

Old August 31st 03, 10:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AlexC

Default WinXP Pro/WinXP Home Problem

I have a WinXP Home PC and WinXP Pro PC networked. The WinXP Home Pc can see
the XP Pro and can access the files etc. The XP Pro Pc can see the Home PC
and can see the shared folders in "My Network Places", however when I try to
access any of the shared folders I get the message

"xxx is not accessible". You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have
access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available".

Can anyone help?

Old August 31st 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:03:46 GMT, "AlexC"
wrote:

I have a WinXP Home PC and WinXP Pro PC networked. The WinXP Home Pc can see
the XP Pro and can access the files etc. The XP Pro Pc can see the Home PC
and can see the shared folders in "My Network Places", however when I try to
access any of the shared folders I get the message

"xxx is not accessible". You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have
access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available".

Can anyone help?

Usually this means there's a problem on the network.

(Sorry, this is long winded, mainly because it cooks down 20-odd
articles from the microsoft site).

Some questions first ...

1) Are you seeing any of the following errors in the event logs on the
machines?

Type: Warning
Source: MrxSmb
Event ID: 50
{Lost Delayed-Write-Data} The system was attempting to transfer file
data from buffers to \Device\LanmanRedirector. The write operation
failed, and only some of the data may have been written to the file.

Type: Warning
Source: MrxSmb
Event ID: 3013
The redirector has timed out to ServerName

Type: Warning
Source: MrxSmb
Event ID: 3036
The redirector detected a security signature mismatch. The connection
has been disconnected.

Type: Information
Source: TCPIP
Event ID: 4201
The system detected that network adapter adapter name was connected
to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network
adapter.

2) how are the machines networked? (Hub, Switch, Crossover cable ...)

3) How are the cards in each machine set up for speed (10mbps,
100mbps, auto) and duplex (full duplex, half duplex, auto)?
(You may have to go into device manager, and look at the properties of
the network cards

Derek.
--
"Can we please add 'Act of God' under 'Line Problem Category'? I mean,
it fits right in with 'Current Action: Sandbags' and 'Next Action
Old September 1st 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AlexC

[...]

I answer to 1) above, yes I can see the errors but only for yesterday at one
particular time and have not got them today when I have had the same
problem. For the last TCPIP Information event I see that on both PCs. One PC
the WinXP Home is connected to a Router the XP Pro PC is connected via a
Wireless card to an Access Point in the Hub. The XP Pro PC can connect to
the Internet no problem through the Hub, it can see the shared folders it
just can not access them, in reverse the XP Home PC has no such problems at
all.

In answer to 3) . On the hard wired PC it is "Auto" for both, as for the
other PC with the wireless card I can not see such options is this correct?

Regards

Alex

Old September 2nd 03, 02:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Derek

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:30:59 GMT, "AlexC"
wrote:

In answer to 3) . On the hard wired PC it is "Auto" for both, as for the
other PC with the wireless card I can not see such options is this correct?

OK, so to summarise, you're using a router with a built-in wireless
access point ... manufacturer? model?

Try this:

goto Start-All Programs-Acessories-System Tools-System Information

From the Tools menu select Net Diagnostics

Add the options in Set Scanning Options:
Verbose
DNS
DHCP
Default Gateways

then scan your system.

See if any of the tests fail.

Post the results back here.

In the mean time, if you do have test failures (especially those
testing the connectivity between the two PCs, or the PCs and Default
Gateways), try changng the hard-wired PC settings to:

10mbps, half duplex
10mbps, full duplex
100mbps, half duplex
100mbps, full duplex

Retest at each setting by copying files back and forth, and rerunning
the Net Diagnostics, and see which settings cure the problem.

Let us know how you get on.
--
"Of course they're pallid and mushroom-like, Howard!
They're _mushrooms_!"
Old September 2nd 03, 07:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AlexC

In answer to 3) . On the hard wired PC it is "Auto" for both, as for the
other PC with the wireless card I can not see such options is this

correct?

OK, so to summarise, you're using a router with a built-in wireless
access point ... manufacturer? model?

Try this:

goto Start-All Programs-Acessories-System Tools-System Information

From the Tools menu select Net Diagnostics

Add the options in Set Scanning Options:
Verbose
DNS
DHCP

then scan your system.

See if any of the tests fail.

Post the results back here.

In the mean time, if you do have test failures (especially those
testing the connectivity between the two PCs, or the PCs and Default
Gateways), try changng the hard-wired PC settings to:

10mbps, half duplex
10mbps, full duplex
100mbps, half duplex
100mbps, full duplex

Retest at each setting by copying files back and forth, and rerunning
the Net Diagnostics, and see which settings cure the problem.

Let us know how you get on.

The summary is slightly incorrect in that the Router does not have built in
Wireless but has an AP plugged into it. The Net Diagnostics produced nothing
on the hard wired PC, The wireless PC showed the following:

DNS Servers
[00000011] U.S. Robotics 22Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter

[00000011] U.S. Robotics 22Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter

DHCP Servers

Also the wireless connection is very slow when the XP Home PC accesses a
file on the Pro PC, obviously the other way around it is not possible at the
moment, I thought that this may be just because it is wireless.