shut down

Old August 31st 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CHRIS 159

Default shut down

is there any way of sending a shut down command to another pc on my home
network ?
if so what ?

TIA

Old September 1st 03, 07:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gary Sinnott

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:47:20 +0100, "CHRIS 159"
wrote:

is there any way of sending a shut down command to another pc on my home
network ?
if so what ?

TIA

If you're on XP, open a DOS window and type... shutdown

There's a nice little built in utility that does all the work for you
- reboots or shutdowns, aborts either. It works on non-XP PCs quite
nicely. I wrote a batch file, posted in a prior thread, if you want
me to resend it, lemme know.

If you're not on XP however... sorry, dunno.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com
Old September 1st 03, 06:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CHRIS 159

wrote:

is there any way of sending a shut down command to another pc on my home
network ?
if so what ?

TIA

If you're on XP, open a DOS window and type... shutdown

and this shuts down the remote pc rather than the one i type from ? do i
need to specify an ip address for the remote ?

There's a nice little built in utility that does all the work for you
- reboots or shutdowns, aborts either. It works on non-XP PCs quite
nicely. I wrote a batch file, posted in a prior thread, if you want
me to resend it, lemme know.

i am on xp and would be great if re-post it. thanks

Old September 1st 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Kaley

OK, there is Remote Shutdown Daemon from www.Depicus.com - that's pretty
good, or
Remote Shutdown freeware from www.matcode.com - that's good as well - it
lets you display a message first for any number of seconds you decide,
before shutting down the remote machine.
I've tried them both successfully.

Chris

"CHRIS 159" wrote in message

"Chris Kaley" wrote in message
A previous poster mentioned RealVNC, well I use TightVNC which is very
similar.
Not only can you shut down the remote PC, but you can also see it's

desktop
and interact with it.
There are other remote shutdown programmes from various sources.
Wake On LAN is very good, too, if you want to remotely start up a PC.

i use win xp which has its own remote desktop facility but thats not what

want it for to be honest. all i need is a very simple way of shutting down
the remote pc(s)

thanks for the input chris. and you mark from before :-)

Old September 1st 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CHRIS 159

"Chris Kaley" wrote in message
OK, there is Remote Shutdown Daemon from www.Depicus.com - that's pretty
good, or
Remote Shutdown freeware from www.matcode.com - that's good as well - it
lets you display a message first for any number of seconds you decide,
before shutting down the remote machine.
I've tried them both successfully.

that matcode one sounds good. i'll have a look

thanks

Old September 4th 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CHRIS 159

"CHRIS 159" wrote in message
is there any way of sending a shut down command to another pc on my home
network ?
if so what ?

TIA

right - i tried realvnc as suggested by Mr McConnell but i dont know what it
is or how to use it :-(
and i tried Mr sinnott's batch file
niether of them work unfortunately.
i also tgried something else but cant remember what its called and it said i
dont have permission even though i have my own user account on the other pc

can anybody give me any pointers ?