Cable recommendations for home network

Old September 2nd 03, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Default Cable recommendations for home network

Might as well just lay Cat5. Wireless is easier but the equipment can be
expensive and you won't get the same speed as a wired network.

When you get your electrician (or if you're going to do it yourself) make
sure he/you is/are au-fait with laying cat5 cable and has experience. Cat5
has been known to complain with corners and if it hasn't been crimped in
securely then you make get a loose connection. Just run the cable and
terminate it with a wall plate and then run a short (1m or whatever) patch
cable to the client PC to get the best results.

ian mayo wrote:
Hi all,

Before we have our loft extension fitted, I want to put in some cable
runs - The home "server" pc will be in the loft and I'd like to lay a
network cable down to the kitchen (for use immediately), and into the
kid's rooms (over the next 3 years or so).

After the loft is done, I'll lose my chance to use it to tidily get
cables around the house.

So, two questions:

- Am I right in thinking that Cat5 cable between the loft and the
kitchen?
- Should I lay cable to the kids bedrooms - or wait 3 years and use
some future wonder-wireless networking protocol?

The house is detached and around 10 years old, whilst I'll be doing
software dev on the server, the other pc's will just be e-mail,
internet, office apps.

Thanks in advance,

Ian