Cable recommendations for home network

Old September 2nd 03, 04:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clansman

Default Cable recommendations for home network

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:03:03 +0100, "ian mayo"
wrote:

Hi all,

Before we have our loft extension fitted, I want to put in some cable runs -
The home "server" pc will be in the loft and I'd like to lay a network cable
down to the kitchen (for use immediately), and into the kid's rooms (over
the next 3 years or so).

After the loft is done, I'll lose my chance to use it to tidily get cables
around the house.

So, two questions:

- Am I right in thinking that Cat5 cable between the loft and the kitchen?
- Should I lay cable to the kids bedrooms - or wait 3 years and use some
future wonder-wireless networking protocol?

The house is detached and around 10 years old, whilst I'll be doing software
dev on the server, the other pc's will just be e-mail, internet, office
apps.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

I'd put the cables in now using wallplates etc. Then if something new comes
along in the next 3 years or so you can just stop using them. They'll just
look like un-used telephone sockets.

Clansman
Old September 2nd 03, 06:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Mayo

"Clansman" wrote in message
news
I'd put the cables in now using wallplates etc. Then if something new

comes
along in the next 3 years or so you can just stop using them. They'll

just
look like un-used telephone sockets.

Clansman

Thanks, that's certainly a way of future-proofing which I hadn't considered!

Cheers,
Ian

Old September 2nd 03, 06:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CHRIS 159

news
wrote:

[...]

or change just the face plates if the cable is compatible with the new type
connections - even better really :-)

Old September 2nd 03, 11:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"shope" writes:

Run some extra cables in - dont terminate if you dont have space. Cable is
cheap - labour and termination cost the money, but you can tape 3 cables
together and run them in for only a little more work (and a bit bigger
holes).

I never install less than two cables. Typically, I use one for
phone and one for data, but sometimes both get used for data.

That way when you need another connection you have a link there - or you can
connect an alternate if a cable fails (i ran 3 cables from lounge to loft
thinking i would only ever need 2 - now got cable modem, laptop amd phone in
place....)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer