Router vs stingray...

Old September 2nd 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Garry Heaton

Default Router vs stingray...

Real nwsy wrote:
My setup - win2k machine in lounge mobo based nic xovered to win98 original
machine in bedroom. Stingray/frog delivered ADSL ICS'd happily between
machines. No problems at all with any of this. Since I set DNS & Gateway
IP's on the win98 machine, its been even more stable/speedy than before.

Question is this...

What's the advantages of going wireless or getting a router? Have read many
posts advocating these kinds of setup & wondered what I'm missing out on by
not having my net set up like this. Just wondered why you who are running
such a system plumped for that option over the more "traditional" or "tried
& tested" wired options. Also, have I read wrong or aren't there a lot of
signal degradation problems between wireless nics when on different floors?

Ta for the info.

--
http://hedgewitch.blogspot.com

A router, wired or wireless, provides network address translation (NAT)
which is a big security win. For best results you'll need to put static,
non-routable IPs on each machine, though, and use the gateway/router's LAN
IP for obtaining DNS.

If you are assigned an IP dynamically your router setup should read:

WAN port: DHCP client

LAN port: DHCP none

You will also need to put the MAC address of the previously directly
connected PC onto the router's WAN port. This last step baffles many home
users who try to setup a router for themselves. You could almost earn a
living knowing this "secret".

Garry Heaton